Security in Ccleaner

Phillipo

I have recently started to use a file recovery program for the first time and have been surprised to find that many internet files (in fact all of them so far as I can see) are listed as being in "excellent" condition for retrieval.

I have tried to retrieve a few with amazing success.

This means that I can no longer turst the claim that Ccleaner is removing my internet files or cleaning my Recycle bin properly.

Has anyone any idea as to what might be wrong here? :(

• Moderators
Has anyone any idea as to what might be wrong here?

first thing that is wrong is that you use ccleaner as a security program instead of what it is, a space reclaimer

second problem is data is ALWAYS recoverable it may take a little elbow grease but even with rewrites something is bound to find at least some excellent retrivals especially if you run the recover program straight after running ccleaner (or what ever cleaner you decide upon)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

In Ccleaner>options>settings do you have it set to normal file deletion, or secure? And if secure, how many passes?

If normal, then it is only the file header that is removed and any recovery program worth the download should be able to recover the files.

first thing that is wrong is that you use ccleaner as a security program instead of what it is, a space reclaimer

second problem is data is ALWAYS recoverable it may take a little elbow grease but even with rewrites something is bound to find at least some excellent retrivals especially if you run the recover program straight after running ccleaner (or what ever cleaner you decide upon)

Thanks for this reply - I must admit to being bemused. I am using a setting for "Secure file deletion" so that leds to to believe that me files are indeed to think they are securely deleted - can I really have got this wrong?

And second - point taken.

I have somethin to ad in reply though. So if Ccleaner is not securely deleting files, what does "wipe free space do" - maybe I am easily confused, but Ccleaner is looking seiously like it does not do what I thought it did!

Cheers

In Ccleaner>options>settings do you have it set to normal file deletion, or secure? And if secure, how many passes?

If normal, then it is only the file header that is removed and any recovery program worth the download should be able to recover the files.

Hi

I have Cclaenr set to Secure File Deletion and three passes, so I guess I should not expect great things, but on the other hand, my previous sorrespondet appears to be saying that Cleaner doe not remove files only reclaims space.

Now, just a thought here. have carried out yet another yet scan with the file recovery utility and there are thousands of files i thought were long since gone that are still recoverable, very easily - I now want to get rid of these too - looks like Ccleaner is not my man!

Cheers

apparently modern operating systems can leave copies of " deleted" files scattered in unallocated sectors any way,

how true this is i dont no or care, the whole over writing data topic gets tiresome,

If the files are left unsecure on a HD is it really that sensitive to you any way?

Answer, DBAN the drive if your selling it or get something like this http://www.datalinksales.com/degaussers/hd-2.html (never used one)

Or stop looking at illegal/not tolerated work content that could get you into trouble.

This is not stated at the OP: just a general point of view

No fate but what we make