Windows Vista/7

iuseccleaner

Is anybody here on Windows Vista or 7? When you install either OS'es, does it automatically create the RECOVERY partition? Is the partition visible or hidden? Are you able to access the drive.

It seems that in most cases the partition is not accessible and is read-only. Sometimes there is also an autorun.inf file and the contents are:

[Autorun]

ShellExecute=Info.exe protect.ed 480 480

I don't think it's malware related but can someone shed some light on the purpose of the partition and the autorun.inf file? Does it only affect OEM versions of Windows?

Thank you. :)

umm... Vista nor Windows 7 creates a Recovery Partition upon installing the OS. now there is a Recovery CD that you can Download a ISO to create the CD.

Vista Recovery Disc

Recovery Options for Windows 7

Note: the Install Disc for Windows 7 is the Recovery Disc as well

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

umm... Vista nor Windows 7 creates a Recovery Partition upon installing the OS. now there is a Recovery CD that you can Download a ISO to create the CD.

Vista Recovery Disc

Recovery Options for Windows 7

Note: the Install Disc for Windows 7 is the Recovery Disc as well

Just found out, the recovery partition is hidden in most systems(especially preinstalled OEM Windows 7 ones) and is used to recover factory settings without using the a Windows or recovery disc(unlike Vista). But i'm not sure about the purpose of the autorun.inf file. I don't like the idea of a hidden partition, taking up precious space.

• Moderators

Recovery partitions(if there is one) will show up in "My Computer". At least it has in every computer I've seen that has one.

Windows does not come with this by default, usually its only in pre-built computers with OEMS who are too cheap to include a disc.

Just found out, the recovery partition is hidden in most systems(especially preinstalled OEM Windows 7 ones)

Ahh you meant on a purchased system, then yes many big brand (hp, dell etc) have a reinstall partitions that has all their preconfigured settings and software.

On a fresh install from original official windows cd wont create a recovery partition.

fireryone

Well I've only had my Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Li 1818 laptop for a couple of weeks and some specs say 120GB and some say 160GB drive. Windows showed 80GB. When I formatted and rebuilt last week it showed another 40GB partition which I deleted becuase there was nothing in it and it rebuilt ok, now it shows 137GB but no greater.

WinXP makes a small 8GB partition which you can't see in Windows. When I rebuild that system I deleted this partition but it always shows up again the next time I rebuild. ;)

Desktop

WinXP SP3

IE 7.0

Laptop

Vista Home Premium SP2

IE 8.0

Well I've only had my Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Li 1818 laptop for a couple of weeks and some specs say 120GB and some say 160GB drive. Windows showed 80GB. When I formatted and rebuilt last week it showed another 40GB partition which I deleted becuase there was nothing in it and it rebuilt ok, now it shows 137GB but no greater.

WinXP makes a small 8GB partition which you can't see in Windows. When I rebuild that system I deleted this partition but it always shows up again the next time I rebuild. ;)

That bolded part - sounds like you have the base install of XP and not even service pack one installed. Try updating - you'll get more harddrive space back.

AJ

I've done many xp installs on 10-15GB drives they never took 8GB...

fireryone

I've done many xp installs on 10-15GB drives they never took 8GB...
same here...
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

that doesn't show here on my System.

.....as mentioned in my first post and here?

no idea never come accross the issue before.

I've only done a Win 7 Ultimate RC install, and am using it now no hidden partitions here.

but this is defiantly NOT a default feature of XP.

fireryone

that doesn't show here on my System.

Is yours pre-installed or self installed?

no idea never come accross the issue before.

I've only done a Win 7 Ultimate RC install, and am using it now no hidden partitions here.

but this is defiantly NOT a default feature of XP.

Maybe the partition is only created in the official version?(or only OEM?)