CCleaner stuck/hangs

blacksun

Every time I run CCleaner it's now sticking on 30%, I've left it running for the good side of 30 minutes and it still does nothing. The item in question is located in c:\$recycle.bin

I've unhidden all files and folders etc, but for the life of me I can't find the shared bin. If I untick 'Empty Recycle Bin', everything works as per normal. Any ideas what I can do to get CCleaner working as it's supposed to?

Nothing has been installed or unstalled recently and no additional drives have been added/removed.

CC Version: 2.25.1025

O/S: Windows 7 (Fresh install on new laptop)

If you need any further information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Blacksun

Just figured it out myself, as I had the same problem...

I am not sure whether you need to be able to set the "view the operating system files" option in Windows Explorer, but I did it anyway and no harm done.

- Go into Windows Explorer (right-click Start button).

- Select "Tools","Folder Options", "View"...remove the check in the "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)" checkbox.

- Close Explorer

- Open Command Prompt as Administrator. One certain way to do that is: Click on the Start Menu, type cmd in the Search Programs and Files box. You'll see CMD.EXE show up in the list. Right click the CMD.EXE which shows up at the top of this list (listed under progams). Chose "Run as Administrator", and type in the Administrator Password. A Command Shell will open up, and you'll see the Command Prompt.

- With your mouse, right click the Start button, opening Windows Explorer. Go to-in your case-the c:\$recycle.bin folder and double-click on it. There'll be at least one folder in there that you want to delete. If there is more than one, repeat the following steps:

- Right-click the folder(s) you find within c:\$recycle.bin. (It'll be a long name starting with the letter "S" with lots of dashes in it) Chose "Rename". Right-click on the now color-inverted text of the file's name and chose "Copy".

- Now with your mouse click on the still open Command Shell-make sure you are at a c:\> prompt-and then type cd c:\$recycle.bin. You'll now see the c:\$recycle.bin> prompt.

- Staying at the c:\$recycle.bin> prompt window, type: Del /Q /S and then, using your mouse, click on the top left of the same Command Shell window and select "Edit", then select "Paste", Then hit the Enter key.

- Repeat the process for each folder contained in c:\$recycle.bin (if necessary).

- Run CCleaner to confirm that it is now able to clean the Recycle bin folder.

- Go back and put the check back in the "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)" checkbox within Windows Explorer.

- You're done!

Regards,

Eric

I'd forgotten all about this post.

Thanks for the detailed reply, it's something I'll bare in mind in the future.. What I did in the end was just set it running and just leave it to do it's thing. Turns out everything worked out fine... odd really.

Thanks again.

Blacksun

Just figured it out myself, as I had the same problem...

I am not sure whether you need to be able to set the "view the operating system files" option in Windows Explorer, but I did it anyway and no harm done.

- Go into Windows Explorer (right-click Start button).

- Select "Tools","Folder Options", "View"...remove the check in the "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)" checkbox.

- Close Explorer

- Open Command Prompt as Administrator. One certain way to do that is: Click on the Start Menu, type cmd in the Search Programs and Files box. You'll see CMD.EXE show up in the list. Right click the CMD.EXE which shows up at the top of this list (listed under progams). Chose "Run as Administrator", and type in the Administrator Password. A Command Shell will open up, and you'll see the Command Prompt.

- With your mouse, right click the Start button, opening Windows Explorer. Go to-in your case-the c:\$recycle.bin folder and double-click on it. There'll be at least one folder in there that you want to delete. If there is more than one, repeat the following steps:

- Right-click the folder(s) you find within c:\$recycle.bin. (It'll be a long name starting with the letter "S" with lots of dashes in it) Chose "Rename". Right-click on the now color-inverted text of the file's name and chose "Copy".

- Now with your mouse click on the still open Command Shell-make sure you are at a c:\> prompt-and then type cd c:\$recycle.bin. You'll now see the c:\$recycle.bin> prompt.

- Staying at the c:\$recycle.bin> prompt window, type: Del /Q /S and then, using your mouse, click on the top left of the same Command Shell window and select "Edit", then select "Paste", Then hit the Enter key.

- Repeat the process for each folder contained in c:\$recycle.bin (if necessary).

- Run CCleaner to confirm that it is now able to clean the Recycle bin folder.

- Go back and put the check back in the "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)" checkbox within Windows Explorer.

- You're done!

Regards,

Eric

• 12 years later...

I have uninstalled CCleaner Pro....and found I now can open Excel, and other programs.
Until there is a solution I will be looking for something else that works for you!

And now I cannot do a simple task like copy a file.

What is going on???

Okay as I see it....could be the latest Windows 10 update that has messed everything up.

I installed my original version CCleanerBundle-577-Setup.exe and I have the same problem.

So I would conclude the problem resides with the Windows 10 update!!!

• Moderators

@Briano

This thread is from 2009 -  so not relevant to Windows 10, and obviously CCleaner has also changed a lot in the past 13 years.

If you are having an issue then please start a new thread, describing what is happening (or not happeneing when it should) for you.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043