Page file

sonic99

Hi am new to defraggler

Is there a help section on using defraggler

Can you defrag the pageing file, and if you can , how would you do it in draggler..

Windows xp

Vista home premium\toshiba laptop L300-1BV\ 2GB RAM \ 32 BIT

You can't.

On XP you can use PageDefrag to do that.

I guessed as much Aethec, thanks for replying

Is defraggler, a lot better to use than the drfragmentor's in xp and vista....

I've been using just the standard ones in xp and vista, and just came across defraggler by chance, so you would recommend using it all the time... :)

EDIT

Doe's it defragment all files reguardless of there size

I guessed as much Aethec, thanks for replying

Is defraggler, a lot better to use than the drfragmentor's in xp and vista....

I've been using just the standard ones in xp and vista, and just came across defraggler by chance, so you would recommend using it all the time... :)

EDIT

Doe's it defragment all files reguardless of there size

1.I would say Yes to defraggler , I am using it for quite while, even after problems accured after upgrade to v1.15, i would still say Yes , more options , and seem like faster defraging .

2. To defrag page file in XP just google for microsoft defrag tool , its free , download from microsoft takes few seconds, size is less than 1MB , defrags Page File in Windosw XP upon next system reboot , before Page File and Windows loads..

1.I would say Yes to defraggler , I am using it for quite while, even after problems accured after upgrade to v1.15, i would still say Yes , more options , and seem like faster defraging .

2. To defrag page file in XP just google for microsoft defrag tool , its free , download from microsoft takes few seconds, size is less than 1MB , defrags Page File in Windosw XP upon next system reboot , before Page File and Windows loads..

OK, vitalspec

I've got the link to the download of page defrag, i'll try that later on the xp machine..

I haven't had time yet to find this out, but do you know if defaggler defrags files regaurdless of there size, i should think it would do, but i am not sure

• 2 weeks later...
Hi am new to defraggler

Is there a help section on using defraggler

Can you defrag the pageing file, and if you can , how would you do it in draggler..

Windows xp

Here's how I 'defrag' the page file using Defraggler;

1) Turn off the page file

2) Reset PC

3) Delete pagefile.sys

4) Defrag the drive using Defraggler

5) Turn on the page file, setting an appropriate size value

In step 5, provided you have enough freespace, Windows will create a new contiguous page file of the size you specified. Walla.

Here's how I 'defrag' the page file using Defraggler;

1) Turn off the page file

2) Reset PC

3) Delete pagefile.sys

4) Defrag the drive using Defraggler

5) Turn on the page file, setting an appropriate size value

In step 5, provided you have enough freespace, Windows will create a new contiguous page file of the size you specified. Walla.

Hello nathan

Yes, i downloaded "pagedefrag" from sysinternals for the XP machine, carn't say if i noticed any improvement.

Do you notice any improvement doing it your way.

What do you think , to creating a static page file, i keep meaning to try it, but what i have read so far is people just tell you its best to leave the page file alone, there are to many "myths" about the page file

Hello nathan

Yes, i downloaded "pagedefrag" from sysinternals for the XP machine, carn't say if i noticed any improvement.

Do you notice any improvement doing it your way.

What do you think , to creating a static page file, i keep meaning to try it, but what i have read so far is people just tell you its best to leave the page file alone, there are to many "myths" about the page file

By creating a static-size page file, you avoid the following data layout situation arising on your hard disk (Where X is data and P is the page file):

XXXXXXXXPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPXXXXXXXXXPPPPPPPPXXXXXXXXXXXXPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Defragmentation theory is all about consolidating data for speed purposes, therefore having the following layout:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Theoretically, should enhance the read speed of X.

However, whether or not there are any noticable speed improvements would depend on what one was doing with the data. For example, on a fragmented drive imagine a huge movie file being played on an old slow machine, or imagine a big collection of small image files no more than 1 - 2 megabytes each; In the case of the movie-file, one may experience performance issues, but in the case of the small image-file scenario, performance issues would be negligable.

As concerns Windows stability and page file sizes;

I have also experimented with having no page file as well. Depending on how much RAM you have in the machine, performance is likely to be quite slow and "jittery". Also, some high end games may refuse to start unless a page-file is active.

As a general rule, page file size should be equal to or greater than the amount of RAM in your system.

By creating a static-size page file, you avoid the following data layout situation arising on your hard disk (Where X is data and P is the page file):

XXXXXXXXPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPXXXXXXXXXPPPPPPPPXXXXXXXXXXXXPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Defragmentation theory is all about consolidating data for speed purposes, therefore having the following layout:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Theoretically, should enhance the read speed of X.

However, whether or not there are any noticable speed improvements would depend on what one was doing with the data. For example, on a fragmented drive imagine a huge movie file being played on an old slow machine, or imagine a big collection of small image files no more than 1 - 2 megabytes each; In the case of the movie-file, one may experience performance issues, but in the case of the small image-file scenario, performance issues would be negligable.

Yes, i keep forgetting this "it depends on what you are doing"

I would have not seen any improvements, just visiting web sites, so maybe this would have improve performance if i was doing something like you stated above.

I have put your above statement in the "page file " folder, for future reference.

The other week i was just gathering info on the page file, as i was going to start experimenting a little.

But this thread which i started, had put me of a little.... :rolleyes:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.ph....html#msg644763

The other week i was just gathering info on the page file, as i was going to start experimenting a little.

But this thread which i started, had put me of a little.... :rolleyes:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.ph....html#msg644763

* No harm can be done as the only data ever stored in the pagefile is always "temporary" anyway.

* Windows-managed page file size or even setting only a minimum page file size can result in page file fragmentation.

* A static page file if created contiguously will guarantee an unfragmented page file.

However, whether or not any performance benefits can be gleaned from a defragmented pagefile really is subjective. :P

• 2 weeks later...
I usually create a static page file on another partition. That way it's always kept away from my data.

have to turn off low space alerts on drives if you create the partition just for the swap or windows will keep annoying you about it

I just settled for a static page file, i haven't got into creating partitions yet, but it would come in handy to know how you do them.

I'll have to learn how you do this.....

Is it easier on xp than vista, or doesen't it matter..

Thanks also, Nathan for replying

yeah i wonder too,how it can be done.

Yeah, just found this for vista, i might try this myself in a day or two...

http://www.alohatechsupport.net/webdesignm...ith_window.html