Registry Cleaner

jadinolf

I tried to use Ccleaner for a very important registry cleaner and had forgotten that, for me at least, it hangs at 28%, 63% etc so I cannot clean the registry.

Last night, in desperation, I found, downloaded and installed Version 1.37.456.

I have had problems like this in the last few versions. Am I the only one experiencing this?

If it's just me maybe I'll try some later versions but this one seems to work fine.

• Moderators

What Operating System are you using

Have you tried each checkbox seperatly to see where it is freezing?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

What Operating System are you using

Have you tried each check box separately to see where it is freezing?

Nope, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. I believe this problem occurs on more than one of my computers. I'll get back.

edit: Sorry. XP is the OS

I have just recently started to have an issue with CCleaner. It hangs at various points, but it happens when it is trying to clean a file in the Recycle Bin that is no longer there. It is like a phantom file or something. I even uninstalled/reinstalled CCleaner. It does not happen with normal file deletion, but only when set to DOD (3 passes) file deletion. I have always had it set to DOD deletion, and haven't had any trouble for years using CCleaner. Any ideas?

Disregard. I let in run for a while, and it eventually finished cleaning. Now, it works fine.

I have just recently started to have an issue with CCleaner. It hangs at various points, but it happens when it is trying to clean a file in the Recycle Bin that is no longer there. It is like a phantom file or something. I even uninstalled/reinstalled CCleaner. It does not happen with normal file deletion, but only when set to DOD (3 passes) file deletion. I have always had it set to DOD deletion, and haven't had any trouble for years using CCleaner. Any ideas?

Disregard. I let in run for a while, and it eventually finished cleaning. Now, it works fine.

Interesting. I never waited a really long time.

Reinstalled 2.25.1025 and no problems yet. Good to know that earlier versions are still available.

• Moderators
does CCLeaner bahaves the same on two different OS such as Windows and Mac?

Might have answered this leejane if I hadn't had to go first through the hassle of removing your spam link in your sig and then banning you.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I tried to use Ccleaner for a very important registry cleaner and had forgotten that, for me at least, it hangs at 28%, 63% etc so I cannot clean the registry.

Last night, in desperation, I found, downloaded and installed Version 1.37.456.

I have had problems like this in the last few versions. Am I the only one experiencing this?

If it's just me maybe I'll try some later versions but this one seems to work fine.

If I remember correctly, CCleaner up till version 1.41 was coded for windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP etc.

The newer versions may have trouble with the way they handle registry cleaning on an older OS like Windows 98. I ran the latest version with no problems on my XP SP2 machine. I am assuming that you are trying to use a newer version of CCleaner on an older OS like Windows 98.

If this is so, you may be able to run version 1.41 or so as it is still the 1 X series. Posting your OS + SP # would really help!

Thanks!

Nope, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. I believe this problem occurs on more than one of my computers. I'll get back.

edit: Sorry. XP is the OS

This is where things may get interesting. Some people use BETA or MSDN versions of windows XP. It would be interesting to know if yours is a Home, Pro, OEM Vendor, or MSDN/Beta version of XP. It may be possible that beta versions have "incomplete" features that could cause this.

In addition, if you would post if your XP is 32 or 64 bit (right click your my computer/properties & if it is 64 bit, it will say 64 bit version. If it is not a 64 bit, it will simply just have XP SP2 etc, no mention of a bit type. This is how you can tell if your OS is 32 or 64 bit).

And the reason for that is, that there have been reports of 32 bit software hanging on 64 bit OS. I am sure that these 2 bits of information I asked you about would help very much to the developers in trying to troubleshoot where the problem is coming from.

Thanks!

This is where things may get interesting. Some people use BETA or MSDN versions of windows XP. It would be interesting to know if yours is a Home, Pro, OEM Vendor, or MSDN/Beta version of XP. It may be possible that beta versions have "incomplete" features that could cause this.

In addition, if you would post if your XP is 32 or 64 bit (right click your my computer/properties & if it is 64 bit, it will say 64 bit version. If it is not a 64 bit, it will simply just have XP SP2 etc, no mention of a bit type. This is how you can tell if your OS is 32 or 64 bit).

And the reason for that is, that there have been reports of 32 bit software hanging on 64 bit OS. I am sure that these 2 bits of information I asked you about would help very much to the developers in trying to troubleshoot where the problem is coming from.

Thanks!

I have XP Home SP3 Retail on all 4 computers and they all exhibit the same trait with the last few versions of Ccleaner. 32 bit, by the way. The lockup, if that is what it is called is not always repeatable but almost always occurs.

I have XP Home SP3 Retail on all 4 computers and they all exhibit the same trait with the last few versions of Ccleaner. 32 bit, by the way. The lockup, if that is what it is called is not always repeatable but almost always occurs.

jadinolf you said earlier that you'd moved to 2.25 from quite an old version (1.37) and that things are now working okay ... is that correct?