Keep last valid Win 98 vers avail for download

j_c_hallgren

I see that in ver 1.32 that Win 98 support was dropped...ok...that's understandable...but...many vendors still keep the last valid vers for things like that on their web site so that any potential new users of product can still find it without having to resort to third party sites initially.

I have recommended your product to others and doing the above would be a nice gesture to as fully support those older sys users as best as possible under the limitations that would need to be given.

Old versions are on the right hand side.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva

Yes, but what I said was to have the link to the proper Win98 vers available on the Recuva site as I consider filehippo a 3rd party site...

More specifically, I'd have something like: "Looking for the Win 98 vers? As of vers 1.32, that OS is no longer supported but the last version (vers 1.xx) for it is available via http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva" on the Recuva site.

... I consider filehippo a 3rd party site...

It's interesting that on the recuva download page (or ccleaner etc) filehippo is listed as the first download link, and the 'Alternative Download' link is actually the piriform site. Also the filehippo site has all of the old versions and the MD5 hashes ... whereas the version history is on the piriform site ... all a bit mixed-up really.

I agree that it would be helpful to show latest versions to support particular OSs somewhere prominent on the piriform download pages, even if you have to go to filehippo for the download. However, post-Win98/WinMe I'm guessing that most of the piriform software is backwards-compatible.

Anyone out there still running Win 95 ... Win 3.1 ? ;)

• Moderators

I've got a virtualbox win 95 (can't find my 3.1 discs) LOL I guess that doesn't count though :P

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I've got a virtualbox win 95 (can't find my 3.1 discs) LOL I guess that doesn't count though :P

This will address several issues in 1 box:

- Win 98 has many probs, including corruption of files over 4 GB & doesn't run things in separate mem spaces like XP, Vista, Win 7 do, leading to crosslinked files that get truncated (deleted).

- It is not an error listing filehippo as the main server. This is to offload traffic from the piriform website to keep costs down as these are free programs & bandwidth costs $$$.

- Recuva is already portable. Save the settings to a .ini file under settings, then copy recuva.exe & the .ini file to your flash drive

- The top 2 entries under the reg cleaner in ccleaner cause the most problems, & if you want to be sure, sometimes the 3rd entry from the top can cause problems as well. I imagine it is far worse under windows 95/98/ME than under XP/Vista/Windows 7 as again, win 95/98/ME are very buggy/crash prone/do not run things in separate mem spaces, & have limited mem/harddisk size support!

Backup your reg if you want, but the top 3 entries on regcleaner are the ones that cause 95% of the problems encountered in registry cleaning.