Windows XP SP3 fails to install

Pascal

I downloaded the installation file for v1.15 from FileHippo.

For the first couple of screens everything looks normal. I select English for the language.

I get the Welcome to the Defragler v1.15 Setup Wizard. After clicking Next, I get the

License agreement which I agree to.

I take the default Installation Location, C:\Program Files\Defraggler\. There is plenty

of space available.

The four installation options are checked. However, I deselect the Add Start Menu Shortcuts

and Install Optional Yahoo Toolbar options.

The installation progress bar goes out 4 notches and stops. Meanwhile, "something"

begins pounding away at my sound board, like rapid Morse code.

I monitor the execution for awhile. No further notches on the progress are seen, but the executable

does occasionally get control until I am forced to kill it off.

I've tried this several times and always have the same problem. Thinking that there an error

might have been introduced in the download, I downloaded a fresh copy from the alternate

URL. The executable installation file was identical.

I have also tried completely uninstalling v1.14 and reinstalling. I hit the same error

on the install of v.1.15. Any ideas?

Follow Up: I reinstalled v1.14 using the exact same options. This version reinstalled with no

problem whatsoever. I am still at a loss to understand why v1.15 will not install.

I downloaded the installation file for v1.15 from FileHippo.

For the first couple of screens everything looks normal. I select English for the language.

I get the Welcome to the Defragler v1.15 Setup Wizard. After clicking Next, I get the

License agreement which I agree to.

I take the default Installation Location, C:\Program Files\Defraggler\. There is plenty

of space available.

The four installation options are checked. However, I deselect the Add Start Menu Shortcuts

and Install Optional Yahoo Toolbar options.

The installation progress bar goes out 4 notches and stops. Meanwhile, "something"

begins pounding away at my sound board, like rapid Morse code.

I monitor the execution for awhile. No further notches on the progress are seen, but the executable

does occasionally get control until I am forced to kill it off.

I've tried this several times and always have the same problem. Thinking that there an error

might have been introduced in the download, I downloaded a fresh copy from the alternate

URL. The executable installation file was identical.

I have also tried completely uninstalling v1.14 and reinstalling. I hit the same error

on the install of v.1.15. Any ideas?

Follow Up: I reinstalled v1.14 using the exact same options. This version reinstalled with no

problem whatsoever. I am still at a loss to understand why v1.15 will not install.

I was just getting ready to post a message about this exact same thing. Running Windows XP SP3 on a computer that I just put together less than two weeks ago. Pascal's description is EXACTLY the same as what happened to me today. The only box I left checked when installing was the "Create desktop icon", and I cleared all the others. I too tried it several times, with the same result. My hardware: AMD Phenom II X4 810 Socket AM3, (2) X 1gb DDR3 1333 Gskill, Sapphire Radeon 4830 512mb 256bit DDR3 HD card, Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P Mobo, CoolerMaster Quiet-Pro 600W Modular Power supply, Raidmax Case

I had the same problem. Tried a couple of times, always stuck with the soundcard pinging away.

Then I downloaded the same installer again (again from filehippo), rebooted, installed version v1.10, uninstalled, and tried to install v1.15. And then it worked. I don't know, which of my moves solved the issue.

I Have exactly the same problem

on XP SP2

whats going on, is there a work around, is Piriform looking at this?

I have no idea. This was the only place I found to report a software problem. I'm hoping

that we get some good news from Piriform posted on this blog.

You could try the finagle method, suggested by mike42, and keep trying different things

until the problem goes away.

I've backed off to v1.14 which works just fine for me until Piriform fixes the installer.

If you don't have an older Defraggler to install, I could probably make the v1.14 installer

available online somewhere. Send me a message and we can work out an exchange.

I have the same problem - Win XP SP3. I will have to stick with 1.14 for now.

Interestingly, I had no problem installing 1.15 on a Vista Ultimate SP1 machine.

Whatever it is, it's more complicated than just an OS issue ... and you'd expect that to have stood out a mile in testing.

This netbook is XP Home SP3 and 1.15 installs and runs just fine. I also regressed and did a 1.14 to 1.15 upgrade - which was fine too.

... there's surely some common factor somewhere. The hard bit is finding it :)

Quite. It was interesting to see Collider's post ... a brand new build virtually. And then there's the sound-card thing ... weird!

Edited to add ... I love filehippo's version history ... makes it so much easier if you want to go back a notch or two.

I am sorry to hear that you having problems with Defraggler installer.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

It seems that the problem happens when the progress bar is shown and if you notice on that screen you also have a "Show Details" button.

Can anyone experiencing the problem press the "Show Details" button while being stuck on the screen and post the details here?

Thanks

I am sorry to hear that you having problems with Defraggler installer.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

It seems that the problem happens when the progress bar is shown and if you notice on that screen you also have a "Show Details" button.

Can anyone experiencing the problem press the "Show Details" button while being stuck on the screen and post the details here?

Thanks

Well, I tried. The Details sub-window opens up when I press the Show Details button but the installer is so busy pounding away at the sound board that nothing shows up. Let me know what else I can try to assist with this.

Thanks for your help Pascal.

We are working on a possible solution to the problem.

Would you be willing to help us if we send you a new installer with a possible fix?

If so, I will send you a PM with the installer.

Let me know

Thank you

Thanks for your help Pascal.

We are working on a possible solution to the problem.

Would you be willing to help us if we send you a new installer with a possible fix?

If so, I will send you a PM with the installer.

Let me know

Thank you

Sure, I'll await the PM with the new installer to try.

I tried (of course :rolleyes: ) to press the "Show Details". If your computer gets stuck like that, you start pressing everything, don't you?

I don't have a screen shot, but afair the text frame pops up but stays blank. Then the whole installer is dead as a doornail.

BTW: I had the issue on my real machine (XP Pro SP3) as well as on a virtual machine (same OS). I think, I uninstalled Defraggler v1.10 before trying to install v1.15. Then, as I mentioned above, after some desperate measures the installer suddenly worked.

However, yesterday I had the same problem again on a freshly installed virtual machine.

Hi

We have found a solution for this problem with the help of Pascal.

Thank you Pascal for your time and dedication in testing the new installers for us.

We have recreated the installers and submitted to our release department which will soon make them available for download.

Thanks everyone for the support and patience.

• 3 weeks later...
Blimey ... without re-reading the rest of the thread I saw that and had visions of you digging out an old Pascal compiler :lol:

Nice work Pascal et al.

If anyone else has this problem, try either downloading the portable version of defraggler, or get the slim edition to see if that does the same way.

Additionally, can try installing it to your flash drive from a "good" machine that you borrow from a friend, then run from your flash drive, or copy it to your C:/Program Files/Defraggler directory & create a shortcut on the desktop.

Thanks!

• Moderators

Mr Don the issue was a bug and it had to be fixed, just telling folk to install a different version works for the odd user who has a problem with it, but this was a specific defraggler bug.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com