Mozilla Firefox vs IE8I

joanie707

I have had Mozilla on my computers for about a week now and i certainly see more speed and

less hassles , such as shutting down all the time that IE8 has been doing and IE 7 for that matter.

What I was wondering, and wanting to ask advice on is:

Should I get rid of IE completely, or clean it down to bare bones? Or keep it a while longer?

There are some things about Fire Fox Mozilla I don't care for but they are pretty minor. And

I need to learn a lot ;) more about Mozilla---I don't quite understand is Mozilla the browser or fire fox??

Whats What? I am thinking Mozilla is a company name and Fire Fox the browser, am I correct or ---not?

Thank you for your time, it is one of the most precious things we have been given, and I appreciate yours.

if you have problems with IE8 uninstalled it,,download a copy from filehippo and run it again...

--don't like firefox that much,memory leaks,and...they can't control plugins from microsoft..did you read about it..

yesterday they release a new version 3.5.5 fixing vulnerabilities..

..next tuesday microsoft will do it for IE8.

if you have problems with IE8 uninstalled it,,download a copy from filehippo and run it again...

--don't like firefox that much,memory leaks,and...they can't control plugins from microsoft..did you read about it..

Ok aqua, I have used IE since it's conception but lately the bugs have been killing me, I will wait until they release thier

fixes before doing anything drastic with either one. I am a ancient mariner and when I learned to use the computer some 12 years ago, I was told it would free up my time and in my liesure years I would be out drowning worms---not so me friend. But we make our own beds don't we :D

but you you're having problems with it now,maybe a bad installation or it got corrupted..

you always can uninstall and then reinstall a clean fresh copy from the site i told you.

then next tuesday wait for the patches.

Look, I don't know how old you are, but keeping IE7 or IE8 will be important later on in life. A lot of government sites and banking sites are developed towards IE whether you like it or not. That's not your decision, it's theirs. So 'nuff said. Keep IE lurking in the pits till you need it. And you will, as you age and develop elephantitis.

In my opinion Joanie, Firefox is much much better than any IE version. You are correct - "Mozilla" is the name of the company and "Firefox" is the name of the browser.

You should never uninstall IE. Microsoft has cleverly (clever for them, not for users) integrated IE into Windows; therefore your Windows operating system will not function properly without IE. But many users (including myself) had severe problems with IE 8 and had to uninstall it and go back to IE 7.

In my opinion Joanie, Firefox is much much better than any IE version. You are correct - "Mozilla" is the name of the company and "Firefox" is the name of the browser.

You should never uninstall IE. Microsoft has cleverly (clever for them, not for users) integrated IE into Windows; therefore your Windows operating system will not function properly without IE. But many users (including myself) had severe problems with IE 8 and had to uninstall it and go back to IE 7.

At one time a HP tech told me NOT to install IE8, when she found out I did she told me it was full of bugs and I should uninstall and so back to IE7. What I am kinds hearing is unistall 8, go back to seven, use firefox when I don't want it to mess up what I am doing. I have had hours of work lost, (my fault to big degree because I was not saving as I went along) because I would either freeze totally or get the message "IE has experienced a problem and is going to shut down now" OH NO please ---- I am slow enough in my old age but when that happens I am ready to give it all up. But I don't. Humans are too resiliant for thier own good. but I have a good size computer 458G hard drive, AMD Athion 64 x 2 dual core processor 5200 + 2.6 Gtz and 2GB Ram, I keep it clean and tuned so in so far as IE is the only program giving me fits guess I better uninstall and maybe go for ie7 instead of IE8 or see if this is a corrupt version---you know I just had a clean sweep done right back to factory 4 months ago.

It all takes up so much of your time, that what kills me ---- literally dang. <_<

Look, I don't know how old you are, but keeping IE7 or IE8 will be important later on in life. A lot of government sites and banking sites are developed towards IE whether you like it or not. That's not your decision, it's theirs. So 'nuff said. Keep IE lurking in the pits till you need it. And you will, as you age and develop elephantitis.

LOL OMG not elephantitis---- if its not one thing it your mother ---oops I mean another.

Yes, I am old enough to be doing all my banking and fiances online, so you are right of course to"keep it lurking" :P

That is the version I downloaded I think

3.5.4 Glue/4.5 GTB5

hmm guess not, or whats that GTB5

• Moderators

If IE8 has not installed properly or is having problems running smoothly, perhaps consider running this

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-inter...-fix-ie-utility

Also works on IE7

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Short answer:

Keep IE installed even if you don't like it, and if you don't like it just don't use it for your everyday surfing.

Note:

IE is still required for some sites that don't work properly in other browsers, and if wanting to visit the Microsoft Update site. Trying to completely remove IE from a system can cripple it, I've been there and done that in the past and will never recommend anyone try it.

If you're using Windows XP try the IE8 XP install from FileHippo, for some reason that build doesn't have the serious issues of previous IE8 builds.

Never uninstall IE 8 without the tool as it will mess up your system since Windows used the IE 8 information to run Windows Explorer, most of the files are integrated. Firefox is a good second choice but lately it has been lagging much more than normal. Chrome is a good choice if you don't run Add ons and is lighting fast and Opera is good if you are a techie and like to play with the developer tools.

• 2 weeks later...

To address both of you at once.

Mozilla is the company that creates the product called Firefox. I tested IE 6 on acid tests online the other day, just for kicks to see how well it did. IE 6, ironically, is far more stable than 7 or 8 is, despite not having tabs. It failed all 3 acid tests. IE only got 11 out of 100 on the 3rd test, so it flunked miserably. Firefox 3.5.5 passed the 1st 2 acid tests perfectly, & the 3rd one it got a 93 out of 100 on.

Firefox 3.6 beta did even better, at 96 out of 100 on the acid test. The memory leak is not a bug, it is a feature. In IE, if you encounter a script that causes IE to crash, you lost all your tabs. IE fails horridly at even attempting to recover tabs. I tested IE on tabs before, & I had it crash on 1 tab, 4 tabs, & even got to 20 before crashing before. Firefox is not totally invulnerable, but I did get to 1611 tabs in FF one time before having to close them because the system started to slow down a lot.

Firefox leaks mem because for each tab you have open, it keeps a history so it can go forward or back, in addition to undo close tab, & a couple other features that use mem in FF.

You can use IE if you want, but that's like surfing the web without a condom. Active X in IE causes more "driveby" automatic downloads that I care to list. Firefox saves me a lot of trouble & time. I am not saying firefox is perfect, & it does use a little mem, but give me security, stability, functionality, & ease of use over a browser that uses less mem but constantly crashes any day!

Mr don >> If you encounter a script in IE8 that cause IE to crash, IE will not crash. The tab will. If you do the same with Firefox, FF will crash.

IE6 is not more stable than 7 or 8. IE6 is a nightmare for web developers.

If you don't like ActiveX, then don't use it. ActiveX don't allow hackers to install weird things on your computer, you know.

And please don't say Firefox is safer... It has a lot more security flaws (search for FF 3.5 and IE8 on Secunia.com ...), and doesn't have the security things IE8 has.

Testing any browser on Acid3 is pointless, CSS3 is still under development.

PS : I use Firefox. I like it because of its add-ons. Not because it is "standards"-compliant or whatever. :)

Piriform French translator

• 4 weeks later...
Mr don >> If you encounter a script in IE8 that cause IE to crash, IE will not crash. The tab will. If you do the same with Firefox, FF will crash.

IE6 is not more stable than 7 or 8. IE6 is a nightmare for web developers.

If you don't like ActiveX, then don't use it. ActiveX don't allow hackers to install weird things on your computer, you know.

And please don't say Firefox is safer... It has a lot more security flaws (search for FF 3.5 and IE8 on Secunia.com ...), and doesn't have the security things IE8 has.

Testing any browser on Acid3 is pointless, CSS3 is still under development.

PS : I use Firefox. I like it because of its add-ons. Not because it is "standards"-compliant or whatever. :)

Hi I was reading the interesting commentary on browser war. I like Firefox with add-on"s like No Script, Wot, etc . You still need Explorer around . I had a uncle who only uses Macs , give me a brand new I-mac . I was told ever since I started using computers .I always heard two things . Don"t use Apple and do not use AOL . And I did not use either . Until Uncle Pete gave me that beautiful Mac and they are nice looking . I have never had any Spy ware or virus , no worms nothing. So I use PC and Macs . My PC is no trouble either. It has windows 7, Intel Core 2 Quad, CPU-Q6700. 6 GIGS OF RAM,NVIDIA 9500 GS . Both systems have their plus and minus . I lean toward the PC side though !

joanie, you can't remove IE it works with to much other stuff on your PC. Thanks to Microsoft. But you will find some company software will not work with Firefox either. I love fire fox because of it not freezing up like IE does. The other thing I did was set it up to clean itself as well which you can't do with IE either. You do that under tools options, choose privacy and then custom your history. Drop your storage down below a week's time. Then Selected what third party web page pop-up you want. The other thing is you choose Firefox as your main browser so IE will only pullup when you then select it and it'll do a pop up asking you if you want IE as your main browser. Microsoft should take some lessons from Mozilla because their browser holds up far better than IE.