Duplicate tracks on Windows Media Player 11

Robbie

Can anybody help me with a rather annoying problem I have with WMP11?

Almost every song I have on my computer (Vista) is showing up twice on WMP. This problem started a few days ago, the reason for which I have no clue. As a result I can't use WMP to play my music as I either have to listen to the song twice or forward to the next track.

I've tried deleting the playlist files database but when I recreate the list the same thing happens once again.

Has anyone got any idea what may have caused this and offer a solution to this problem?

• Moderators

One thing which can screw up WMP is tagging.

If you re-tag albums for any reason, WMP can pick up the same, newly tagged songs as new (different) songs and add them to it's library, but retain the originals. I've had that happen, with the result you describe.

I'm guessing you've checked all WMP's settings. I was thinking maybe have a look at which "Monitored Folders" you have configured in "Options\Library\Monitor Folders".

I've had trouble with that feature in the past. It can get screwed up if you have your music in any folder other than "My Music".

Have you tried deleting all the music directly from WMP itself, making sure that "Delete Files From Computer When Deleted From Library" isn't checked in "Options\Library", and then let WMP put them back using the "Monitored Folder"?

• Moderators

You can very quickly wipe out the WMP library database ("playlist") for later rebuilding by deleting the *.wmdb files located in:

"...\Your User Profile\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player

After you do that then start WMP and have it re-load your collection.

I've deleted and then recreated the media player databse and the problem just returns and I don't have any tags. I've checked the folders that are being monitored and they are the correct folders. I'm at a complete loss what to do! It would be helpful if I could delete WMP off the computer, delete every single file associated with WMP and reinstall but there's no option to do that.

Adding further to this: I've now deleted the entire folder that contains the database file, started WMP, recreated the databse and the same problem has happened again. I'm at a total loss what to do to solve the problem.

Problem solved!

I'd installed iTunes a few days ago and iTunes has created its own folder in my main music folder and copied ALL of my music files into that folder. All I did was to delete that iTunes folder and the problem has now been solved.

• Moderators

NO idea either Robbie.

Just had a quick look around and found a couple of threads that mention this

http://www.winvistatips.com/wmp-11-adding-...es-t510511.html

This one may take a minute to load

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/to...ayer-11-on-whs/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com