Runtime error '6' ... ?

RonnyB

Running WinXP Pro SP1. Using AVG. I know this system has "issues" ... e.g. panda software's online scanner shuts down a few minutes into the scan ... the whole browser just disappears like it was never there ! Trendmicro's Housecall can complete a scan, however.

Anyway, when running the first step of CCleaner v1.23.160 , after some time, I get :

Runtime error '6'

...and the program shuts down when the box is clicked on.

Thanks for any tips !

-RS-

it's coding related

Runtime Errors are errors within the coding.

Overflow occurs when something uses a number that is too big. here is an example.

The coder makes the variable frmMain as byte like sooo

Dim frmMain As Byte

IIRC Bytes can only go up to 128. so if frmMain = or > 129 then it errors.

that was just an example though. im not saying that it was a Byte that caused the error.

to tell you the truth im not sure. in the newest version MrG did mention a fix for too much memory. i dont know much about that but i think that he has to count how much memory there is by the number of bytes and then type it out as how much there is. i dont really know though :unsure:

Mangix do you know what could cause this? Is it memory related?

Also Ronny have you been having malware issues?

MS's Antispyware runs regularly after midnight; yesterday Housecall's Full online scan found nothing; Adaware SE freshly updated found nothing. I did notice that Adaware was going through what seemed to be a tremendous number of *.tmp files though ...

I may try to clear them out manually ... to see if that helps.

Runtime error 6 is indeed an overflow issue. It's due to the usage of RTF forms/boxes in the application.

What versions of RTF are you using?

• Versions:
  • RichEd20.dll --> 5.30.23.1221
  • RichEd32.dll --> 5.1.2600.0
  • RichTx32.ocx --> 6.1.97.82

Runtime error 6 is indeed an overflow issue.  It's due to the usage of RTF forms/boxes in the application.

• Versions:

• RichEd20.dll  -->  5.30.23.1221

• RichEd32.dll  -->  5.1.2600.0

• RichTx32.ocx  -->  6.1.97.82

RichEd20.dll and RichEd32.dll were both found using XP's search function.

RichEd20.dll and  RichEd32.dll were both found  using XP's  search function.

They were both found, but let me repeat. :)

Runtime error 6 is indeed an overflow issue. It's due to the usage of RTF forms/boxes in the application.

• Versions:

• RichEd20.dll --> 5.30.23.1221

• RichEd32.dll --> 5.1.2600.0

• RichTx32.ocx --> 6.1.97.82

They were both found, but let me repeat.  :)

Runtime error 6 is indeed an overflow issue.  It's due to the usage of RTF forms/boxes in the application.

• Versions:

• RichEd20.dll  -->  5.30.23.1221

• RichEd32.dll  -->  5.1.2600.0

• RichTx32.ocx  -->  6.1.97.82

Well, how can I find that out? Where does it hide?

On Windows 9x/ME it would be in your %windir%/system/ directory.

On Windows XP/2k/NT it would be %windir%/system32/

You can also use the Search function built into your computer.

In my XP's Windows\System32 folder, I do not have any folder called "RTF". I had already reported what files Search had found. ("RichEd20.dll and RichEd32.dll were both found using XP's search function.")

BTW, I have over 56,000 *.tmp files. Even booting into Safe mode and trying to delete them there is a painfully slow proces. I am down to about 45,000 now ... but CCleaner still blows up when I go back to regular mode and try it again ...

• Moderators
I am down to about 45,000 now ... but  CCleaner still blows up when I go back to regular mode and try it again ...

Wow, that's alot. I don't think CCleaner could handle that many. Just mass delete them if they are in the temp folder.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

In my XP's Windows\System32 folder, I do not have any folder called "RTF".  I had already reported what files Search had found. ("RichEd20.dll and  RichEd32.dll were both found  using XP's  search function.")

BTW, I have over 56,000  *.tmp files.  Even booting into Safe mode and trying to delete them there is a painfully slow proces.  I am down to about 45,000 now ... but  CCleaner still blows up when I go back to regular mode and try it again ...

So you didn't find RichTx32.ocx? Go download it and pop it into the system32 directory, then Start > Run > regsrv32 C:\Windows\System32\RichTx32.ocx

Be sure it's version 6.1.97.82

Wow, that's alot. I don't think CCleaner could handle that many. Just mass delete them if they are in the temp folder.

It can handle it fine, it just takes time.

If you are mass deleting files, Windows will stop at the first file it cannot delete. It is often best to delete certain temp files in Safe mode if you get a lot of errors that files are in use by Windows. ZoneAlarm temp files are a good example, but here are some that can be stubborn.

C:\Windows\Temp\*.tmp

C:\Windows\Internet Logs\*.tmp

C:\Windows\Internet Logs\*.dmp

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp\*.tmp

(Windows XP RTM/SP1/SP2)

Windows 10 (x64). Android 11. CCleaner Pro 6.02.9938.

Just an update. I resorted to Safe Mode with Command Prompt ... and used "del *.tmp /s" to clear out the bulk of them. It took the P3-733 about 70 minutes ... going at about 10 delections per second. I then ran CCleaner with no problem. It found a bunch more stuff which I let it delete. All together I gained back over 2GB of space.

Now I can run Panda's online scanner ... which always "evaporated" after 10 minutes or so ... previously. :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

-Ron-

• 4 months later...

Just an update to say that the same thing happened again. I got the Runtime error '6' ... and had to search here to find the command I used to delete the temp files. :P

This time it took just 17 or 18 minutes (same machine, etc.) to delete all the *.tmp files.

I did notice that that vast majority of them were "Acr*.tmp" files ... Acrobat ones. I am using Acrobat 6 (full version). There are some hits on Google regarding this problem ... i.e., the tendancy for this to happen.

-RS-

• Moderators

A word of advice delete those .tmp files in normal Windows mode, mass file deletions and everything else is slooow in Safe Mode. Also you can use a saved batch file to delete all that junk without ever having to type it in again.

Example (actually this should cover it all):

del /q "%temp%\*.tmp"del /q "%userprofile%\temp\*.tmp"del /q "%windir%\temp\*.tmp"

If any of the .tmp files are locked download Disk Cleaner, it can delete the contents of the mapped temp folder on reboot and get rid of any locked in-use files.

Edit:

Also make sure you're using your disk cleaning utilities on a daily basis, e.g.; CCleaner and whatever else you have installed. A program that can search your whole system (all drives and folders) for junk files like .tmp is EasyCleaner.