installed windows 7

beatlebryce

Hey, quick question. Here's my setup first actually: C: XP, my primary partition, primary OS. D: Partition with programs installed on it. E: new partition I installed W7 on. Do I need to reinstall the programs, or is there a way to share the programs with 7? I'm currently using Firefox running on D:, I just had to go into the program folder to access the exe. Thanks

Hmm ok. I just have to figure out how best to do this. I'm keeping XP till I feel 7 is good (and I'm quite impressed, it's definitely no Vista). I guess I'll just add more space to Win7's partition and have a few vital programs installed there, and once I switch, I'll just delete and switch free space between partitions again. Thanks for the info

Some program's you may get away with installing over the same path (though may be trial and error to find out which ones)

Note: If you uninstall a program it wont remove the registry entries from both OS's so may leave a bit of mess if you plan on running both for a while.

fireryone

Uh oh! I decided to make the switch to 7, so I deleted my C: partition to do a fresh install on it with 7. I got everything ready, but I forgot about Firefox. All my bookmarks, preferences, saved passwords, everything is not here, even when I run firefox from its folder on my D: drive. Now, as it was installed on D: and just run on C: (when I was using XP), does that mean all my data is still in the installation folder?

It is there in some folder, you can google it. You MIGHT be able to restore it.

On a side note, for a better 7 experience, do a clean install, trust me.. it is all you need. If you want XP, you can use the XP Mode. :)

I am using Win7 and it is amazing.

Simplicity is hard.

Yea, I did a clean install. I have it set up so I only have OS and drivers on one partition (C:) and everything else on my other (D:). And I agree, Windows 7 is very nice. I'll search for that folder than and let you know how it goes.

Your FF data was in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_NAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXX.default\

(XXXXXX are random letters and digits)

PS : You didn't need to format your C: drive - Win7 installation would have installed Win7 and kept everything you had in C:\windows.old :)

Piriform French translator

Your FF data was in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_NAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXX.default\

(XXXXXX are random letters and digits)

PS : You didn't need to format your C: drive - Win7 installation would have installed Win7 and kept everything you had in C:\windows.old :)

I had done that.. and again, I had done a complete clean install.. the Boot time decreased by at least 10 seconds.

Simplicity is hard.

It is there in some folder, you can google it. You MIGHT be able to restore it.

On a side note, for a better 7 experience, do a clean install, trust me.. it is all you need. If you want XP, you can use the XP Mode. :)

I am using Win7 and it is amazing.

I am upgrading from Vista premium 32 bit. Can I do just an upgrade or would a "clean install" be that much better. I have a lot of stuff on my computer

Thanks

You can do an upgrade. A clean install is always better, but you don't have to.

Aside from just getting out the stuff you never use is there any other advantages of a clean install? I think I am leaning toward a clean install but I just don't want to be wasting my time and efforts. So I guess I am asking WHY is a clean install better?

Thanks for replying :)

Well, as far as I know "upgrade" made my boot time longer and it was more unstable!.

After I clean installed, it was better. Visible change in performance.

That's just my opinion anyway. :)

Simplicity is hard.

Well, as far as I know "upgrade" made my boot time longer and it was more unstable!.

After I clean installed, it was better. Visible change in performance.

That's just my opinion anyway. :)

Enough said

Clean install it is :)

Thanks