MS Update keeps coming back.

DennisD

• Moderators

Anyone else have this?

The same update, KB953300, installs successfully, and then keeps popping up as a priority update.

Have tried:

Install again over the top. Successful, but comes back again.

Uninstall via add/remove, and delete the registry key as well. Installs fine, but keeps coming back.

Cleared out the Software Distribution folder and deleted the datastore.edb file to make sure I installed it with a clean slate. Guess what? Yep, it installs fine but keeps coming back.

Removed it as above again, and downloaded the update to my pc from a different site (MS Downloads), and it installed fine, and keeps coming back.

Installed the latest Microsoft Installer, V4.5. (Mine was 3.1). Installs OK and keeps coming back.

I can stop this on the Windows Update page with "Don't show this update again", but that isn't a solution as there's something wrong somewhere and I'd rather fix it than hide it.

Two final things, my update history showed it as being installed 4 times before I deleted the datastore.edb file, and it didn't ask for the machine to be restarted, which is unusual.

As usual, thanks in advance for any input as I'm out of ideas.

Dennis D

I know the feeling so well !!

see ...Windows Security Update unable to update, Error message received

Have you tried the Microsoft help !? I dare you ! try it and see if you can get through the maze !1

Good luck

Fluff

• Moderators
It's a net framework one isn't it?

Only post I've seen so far like yours is here which you may have already seen.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/FORUMS/t701...ws-updates.html

Correct hazel, and two things I haven't tried are mentioned in post number 5. Thanks for the link, I'll give them a try.

EDIT: No go, the update isn't picked up by Windows Installer Clean Up.

• Moderators
Dennis D

I know the feeling so well !!

see ...Windows Security Update unable to update, Error message received

Have you tried the Microsoft help !? I dare you ! try it and see if you can get through the maze !1

Good luck

Fluff

Are you talking about a past experience Fluff, or do you have a current problem with updates?

Dennis,

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase with my response, because I don't know if it has any relevance whatsoever to your MS Update issue. But I had a similar experience last night with one of the updates repeatedly popping up. I don't recall what update number it was, but I do think it was related to the net framework (version 2.0 because I didn't install 3.5).

Here's what I experienced. First, some background: My backup drive is always plugged into one of my usb ports and I have it configured as a forced folder in Sandboxie. I noticed that after all the updates were installed yesterday, and I rebooted, I got an alert that one of the priority updates that I just installed still needed to be installed. I also noticed that my Sandboxie icon in my system tray contained the red dots that indicated something was running in it. What was weird was that prior to the MS Update installs, my sandboxes were empty. Lastly, I noticed that the sandbox that was now active was the one with the forced folder configuration.

So I deleted the contents of that sandbox, and tried to install the MS update again. Same results. I tried it a third time. Again, same results.

Through trial and error, I found out that whenever that particular update was being installed, data was also being written to my backup drive. I have no clue why. And since my backup drive is identified as a forced folder, SBIE was intercepting/containing it, along with whatever data was being written to my C drive. So, as best I can surmise, the update kept being installed in the sandbox. Everytime I emptied the sandbox, that update was being removed from my system as well, hence the repeated priority update message.

I ended up temporarily removing the forced folder configuration in SBIE (I guess I could have merely unplugged my backup drive instead), installed the MS update again, and haven't had any further occurrence of the priority update message. Strange, though, because when I opened my backup drive folder, I saw three or four folders that it looks like the update put in there. They were named just a bunch of numbers and they were empty. Right or wrong, I deleted them from the backup drive. Thus far, I've had no reoccurrences of the priority update message and when I go to Windows Update, it states all priority updates have been installed.

Anyway, that's my story. If it helps, great. If not, then perhaps I'll just chalk it up as a Halloween mystery.

Chris

DennisD

Both !!!! had a problem wwith an update KB947320 still not installed

see my thread..of and m last post..Ive given up !!

Aug 20 2009, 11:36 AM Post #1

My Windows update was going through its usual updating process when I received an error message saying this security update could not be updated

"Security Update for Microsoft Office XP Web Components (KB947320)"

Should I be worried,has anyone else had this? what do i do now !

Any help or comments appreciated !!

Thats about 8 times now i`ve tried it,I have the little yellow shield,telling me I have updates then express installation,then it says "failed"

26 failures ! error code 0x80070663, it says its downloaded,but hasn`t finalised !tried microsoft website,(phew what a nightmare) I need Piriform sanity!

• Moderators

I always do this, and for some reason it has always worked for me:

1. You'll first need to change the Automatic Updates setting to this for it to work:
    58b7e052800535.gif

2. Once the notification balloon state's it's downloaded and ready to install I now use the 'Start->Shutdown' option that installs downloaded updates at shutdown.

3. Start Windows and see if the update has finally installed without constant prompting to reinstall.

4. Remember to configure Automatic Updates back to your preferred setting.

• Moderators

Chris:

Thanks for the suggestion, although I already had the Sandboxie possibility covered, the info was still worth posting as it will probably help other members or users following this thread if they ever get a similar situation.

Fluffy:

I'm having a think about that one Fluff, and I'll get back to you, but as I usually add, if any of the other guys can shed some light on that I'm sure they will.

Andavari:

I have the middle option set as the norm on my PC, but I always "download but don't install" when I get the System Tray Shield popup.

I tried downloading the update to my PC from a different site, disconnecting from the Internet to prevent the little b****r from popping straight up again, uninstalling it, and removing the reg entry which was still there after the uninstall (that's rich), installing the downloaded update, and then re-booting again, which made no difference.

But I will try the subtle difference mentioned in your suggestion re the "Start-Shutdown Install". You never know.

• Moderators

Fluff ...

I can't remember which Operating System you have, but Dial-A-Fix may help your problem:

Dial-A-Fix:

DAF works on all pertinent 32-bit versions of Windows: 98, 98SE, Me, 2000, XP, and Server 2003. Dial-a-fix dynamically disables functions that are not applicable to your version of Windows. The version of Windows with the most support and functionality is currently Windows XP.

There are two files inside the downloaded zip file, which unzip into the same folder. The one you double click is Dial-a-fix.exe.

Follow the instructions as per the screenshot:

66fe85ae4024.jpg

1: Select the first checkbox which auto checks the other three, and some boxes over on the right.

2: Press "Go" and wait while it does it's thing.

3: Press the "Flush Software Distribution" button and select "yes" in the window that pops up to retain the Datastore.edb file, the purpose of which is to enable you to get a visible list of your installed updates on the Windows Update Site.

If you still can't install updates after that, do step 3 again and select no for the Datastore.edb file. Don't worry about it, as it's replaced with a new one. I've deleted mine a couple of times to fix problems.

Dial-A-Fix is a well respected program, and the process is straightforward. I actually forgot about this for my problem, and I've just ran it. Haven't checked whether it's helped or not yet.

EDIT: I've just found your other thread, and see Andavari already suggested this, but you weren't very confident about it.

All Dial-A-Fix is doing, is something many people do manually, although DAF is probably 100 times quicker.

It just stops a few services running, re-registers the dll's and starts the services again. The "Flush Software Distribution" only clears out the folder which contains all the downloaded updates. They remain in this folder for a while after they're installed before Windows clears them. I usually clear them out myself in case Windows "forgets".

This might just fix your problem Fluff.

Anyone else have this?

The same update, KB953300, installs successfully, and then keeps popping up as a priority update.

Dennis

Have a read through this article. Note the 'installed' registry entry (search for 'KB953300 "Installed" = dword:1', minus single quotes). If you're convinced the install was successful and this is not set, try setting it and see how it goes. I have seen this before on an MS update; a successful installation but no registry flag. The article also suggests alternative patch removal methods if you want to try again.

And http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953300 lists the dll versions after a successful patch.

• Moderators

That's interesting, and what a lot of stuff about a little update.

I don't have an "Installed" entry on any of the updates under SP2 Service Pack 1, but there is a significant difference between KB95330 (I know this number off by heart now) and all the others.

KB953300:

39156c76eaea.jpg

All the others:

83fa38adb974.jpg

If you recognize any significance in that marmite, and the lack of the "Installed = dword:1" entry, then I bow to your greater knowledge of the registry and what would you suggest?

If you're as baffled as I am, then I'll fire up Returnil and give that first entry in the KB95330 list a value.

Hmmmm. In my enthusiasm to assist, I didn't see all the possibilities for reg keys, depending on the combinations of FWK 2.0 an 3.5 and the Service Packs. Additionally, I've just had a look on my own machine (2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1) and the right key is there but like you I can't see a DWORD 'Installed' value there; or indeed on any of those KB install keys :mellow:, although the install date is correct; 14 Oct 09.

The key for my update (an SP2 kb974417 variant) doesn't have an ARPLink value either; whereas all of my SP1 updates do. But I'm afraid I don't know if that's significant.

I don't think adding that DWORD will make a difference; I think the update was supposed to do that ... except that given that neither of us could find any such values I'm really wondering where that's coming from in the article.

Whatever route you take, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093 might help with looking in the windows update log for any glitches that have gone on-noticed.

One other suggestion - is it worth (can you) upping to 2.0 SP2 - have you been prompted for that before?

• Moderators

It's more complicated than you think marmite.

I tried it with a new "Installed" d word, but as you already know, it makes no difference. Didn't hurt anything either.

Here's the slightly complicated bit ...

I only have up to NET version 2 installed, and I have the Net 3.5 update hidden as I don't want it. As soon as I "unhide" the NET 3.5 update and scan, the KB953300 download disappears.

Hide the 3.5 update again and scan, and KB953300 download reappears. :blink:

So now I have them both hidden, although the KB953300 is actually installed. I can live with that.

But your efforts are appreciated, and I've learned a bit more about why it's happening.

:)

As soon as I "unhide" the NET 3.5 update and scan, the KB953300 download disappears.

Hide the 3.5 update again and scan, and KB953300 download reappears. :blink:

Errrm yeah, quite!! Since the Frameworks are independent, that is interesting. Unless the 3.5 install modifies any existing 2.0 version; can't see why it should though. :unsure:

One comment I would make is that it wouldn't hurt to add 3.5. You may not have any dependencies on it now ... but that'll come eventually. All of the framework versions happily sit alongside one another; the components and runtimes are discrete. I have 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 both here and at work ... and can even develop on multiple versions quite literally at the same time. I can understand from the point of view of minimising clutter, but it's only used when required ... idle it's just eating disk space :)

Anyway, glad you have a situation you can live with. These sorts of compromises are annoying aren't they; but it's difficult to avoid them completely.

DennisD

Yes Andavari kindly tried to get me through this query by recommending dial a fix,have tried it !again today

I do get an error message

Dial-a-fix was unable to determine your version of internet explorer certain dll registrations will be skipped.please emil dial-a-fix.

(thanks for your help)

Fluff

• Moderators
Dial-a-fix was unable to determine your version of internet explorer certain dll registrations will be skipped.please emil dial-a-fix.

(thanks for your help)

Fluff

Yeah, Dial-a-fix's Flush SoftwareDistribution, forgot about it.

That error you get on Dial-a-fix startup is because of having Internet Explorer 8 installed. I surely wouldn't use it to fix any IE8 installations.

• Moderators

As you're not doing virtual somersaults around the forum Fluff, I'm guessing that you still haven't fixed your updating problem.

The error and the suggestion to email them may be a good idea.

You could post your problem into their forum and maybe get some advice beyond what we can supply. Explain your updating problem, what you ran in Dial-A-Fix, and the error you received. The dll error may not be relevant to your problem, but you may get something really positive from there.

http://forums.lunarsoft.net/forum/33-dial-a-fix/

• Moderators

Fixed the repeating update problem. :)

Installed .NET 3.5 and a couple of connected updates and it no longer appears.

In line with what you posted above marmite, the KB953300 now has a DWORD with the value of 1, and is no longer amongst the list of updates it was in previously.

P1W56s.png

It was obviously incomplete without the other .NET installations. An MS glitch I think offering it in that way.

Installed .NET 3.5 and a couple of connected updates and it no longer appears.

In line with what you posted above marmite, the KB953300 now has a DWORD with the value of 1, and is no longer amongst the list of updates it was in previously.

So why don't I get a DWORD then - I'm jealous. More Microsoft mysteries :D

Glad you're sorted ... even though it was a bit of a circuitous way to get there B) !!