"Finished" message

mike42

I think, a message box like "Finished defrag" would be nice to inform the user that a defragmentation run has finished. Now it just silently re-enables the "Defrag" and "Analyze" buttons.

Other programs give you a full-screen sized reoprt of the defrag process. That's an overkill, but some message would be nice. Or maybe just a notification sound.

regards,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I think, a message box like "Finished defrag" would be nice to inform the user that a defragmentation run has finished. Now it just silently re-enables the "Defrag" and "Analyze" buttons.

Other programs give you a full-screen sized reoprt of the defrag process. That's an overkill, but some message would be nice. Or maybe just a notification sound.

regards,

Mike

Some people may not like that. Maybe build in the option to tick whether they want to be alerted when it is done. Perhaps even build defraggler with "download" packs.

Meaning, why add colorblind support to Defraggler if someone does not use it, it would not be added to the download size & just add something that is useless to them. Perhaps be able to download the parts they want to use with Defraggler.

Say, downloadable:

- Language pack (for languages other than English, instead of installing all of them)

- Alerts (for users who really really want to add that)

- Colorblind support

Etc, etc!

Some people may not like that. Maybe build in the option to tick whether they want to be alerted when it is done. Perhaps even build defraggler with "download" packs.

Of course, one could include an enable/disable alerts (messages) in the settings. But for sure some kind of "finished"-notification should be included.

As for download packs, that only makes sense if a significant data volume is involved. The lang files currently take 144 KB (compressed), so I don't think it really pays off. And certainly neither for two lines of code for a message box. Maybe the languages could be selectable in the installer.

• 1 month later...

I'm new as a member, so I'm unsure where this is going or if anybody will read it! It is the only box I could find that would actually let me type something.

My system: Vista with 3MB of ram.

I just used Defraggler (tried) and after two days gave up. After reading the forum, my 'shortcut' answer gleaned from a lot of people smarter than me is ......... go for disabling the system restore! (Although a fellow in India assured me that MS Vista didn't have or use restore.) So if someone would tell me how to "disable" the system restore portion of Deflaggler or shut down the restore so I can defrag in a reasonable time.

Regards.

The Old Flyer

regards,

Mike

Yes I agree, some sort of "I'm finished" dialog box would be handy.

Regards

Tasgandy

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Yes, it would be VERY useful.

Here is a typical real-life use of Defraggler:

?After a heavy day of computer use, the user cleans up a few things and goes to bed.

?But first he sets Defraggler to clean a SEQUENCE of partitions: say, Drives C, D, E, H, K, L, M

?If he gets up and checks things later, he would like to see Work in Progress. Or, next morning he would like to see Finished. Ideally he would see the drives specified, viz:

Defrag completed C, D, E, H

Defragging Drive K

In Queue Drives L, M

Piriform People, Please Note: This applies just the same for CCleaner's invaluable new WIPE FREE SPACE function.

regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

When I open Defraggler, it always says "Ready". After I defrag, it always says "Finished". :rolleyes:

When I open Defraggler, it always says "Ready". After I defrag, it always says "Finished". :rolleyes:

So?? I know. I didn't deny that. I didn't claim it was impossible to find out about the status. I was just saying, a notification would be nice. So you don't have to switch to Defraggler and check the status all the time (in case you do something else in the meantime).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Meaning, why add colorblind support to Defraggler if someone does not use it, it would not be added to the download size & just add something that is useless to them. Perhaps be able to download the parts they want to use with Defraggler.

Say, downloadable:

- Language pack (for languages other than English, instead of installing all of them)

- Colorblind support

Etc, etc!

Have you ever maintained software? ;)

A colorblind user should just customize the colors to ones they can differentiate. (There's more than one type of colorblindness anyway.)

As for languages, I have the same thought when I see a program installing DLLs for languages I don't speak, but each should just be an option in the installer, not a whole other download. (They're not large enough to warrant that, in my opinion.)

The file size increase associated with an option to alert the user would be trivial.

• 2 months later...

Say, downloadable:

- Colorblind support

Of course, notification boxes should be possible to disable in the settings. The whole thing adds one call of a messagebox, one checkbox in the settings and one entry in the registry/INI file. I guess a few KB. Do you really worry about download sizes (+/- a few KBs)?

As for languages, I agree. I wouldn't need any, I switch everything to english anyway.