lost 40+ GB space after defragging VERY slow

savab

Hi,

I just downloaded defraggler onto my laptop, and just ran it. before I had about 209.5 GB free space on my hard drive, after i was left with just 160.9 GB. Now I know that the help topics suggest that i run windows disk cleaner and remove the shadow copies, so I did. Problem is, it just gave me back 17 GB, so I still lost about 25 GB.

Now I'm defragging again, but it's going even slower then previously (last time it took about 20 hours). It's been going on for about 3 hours, but i'm still just at 1%...

I have a Sony VAIO, windows vista home premium 32-bit, intel 2.4 GHz dual core, 4.0GB RAM, 500 GB HD

can anyone tell what the problem is?

grtz

• 2 weeks later...
I seem to be havign the same problem, I ran the ccleaner before and now defragging, it is up to 60% and I seem to be loosing disk space.

Anyone know the reason why this may be,

any help would be great as I have no clue.

Thanks

I'd like to add my name to this list with a few additional details that make no sense to me.Original analyze status:4 frag.files(3.5GB) 13TL fragments 9%fragmentation. After 55mins on a 160GB drive and my used space went from 39.2GB to 48.7GB Upon defrag completion analyzed again and it showed:12frag.files(126GB) 226TL fragments 26% fragmentation.My OS Vista home premium.I only used this defraggler because i'm so pleased with CCleaner.What can be done here !!!!!

I'd like to add my name to this list with a few additional details that make no sense to me.Original analyze status:4 frag.files(3.5GB) 13TL fragments 9%fragmentation. After 55mins on a 160GB drive and my used space went from 39.2GB to 48.7GB Upon defrag completion analyzed again and it showed:12frag.files(126GB) 226TL fragments 26% fragmentation.My OS Vista home premium.I only used this defraggler because i'm so pleased with CCleaner.What can be done here !!!!!

ditto

It appears this program is going to force me to buy a larger hard drive much sooner than I wanted to.

I just lost 36 gb of space and it's still running.

"2. After you run Defraggler in Windows Vista, there is less free hard drive space available.

When you run certain third-party programs (such as Defraggler), Windows Vista creates an automatic System Restore point for security reasons. This System Restore point takes up hard drive space. See this topic for more information on Windows Vista and shadow copies."

NONSENSE! I JUST installed Vista 64 SP2. I have System Restore turned off and the service disabled AND disabled it in gpedit.msc. Got my main drivers installed, vcredist 2005, 2008, Windows Updates, just the basics, had not gotten to the usual third party apps like CDRW software, games, etc.

Then I ran Defraggler 1.15.163 and it showed like 2% fragmentation. It ran until it reported 2 files left to defrag for about 60 Megs, showed 100% complete and 0% fragmentation and then it just kept going forever, stuck in a loop apparently. All the while my used disk space is rising, rising, and rising by the gigabytes. After it added 4 gigs or so I killed it, rebooted, did a chkdsk /f, ran Windows defrag, then tried Defraggler again. I did the same thing and added another gig or so of used space before I canceled it again. It never completed a defrag and ruined my Windows install.

Now I get to go start all over and reinstall Vista from scratch to get my 5 or 6 gigs of drive space back. Gee, thanks a lot Piriform. What an absolute crap program.

• Moderators

It isn't just a System Restore issue with Vista. It's well documented that the loss of disk space is also attributable to Volume Shadow Copy.

Vista makes Shadow Copies of files it detects as being changed or modified in any way, and this can use up free space at a surprising rate.

Because Vista reserves 15% of your system drive for Defragging, it will begin to delete System Restore points as Volume Shadow Copies increase to maintain that 15%.

I believe Vista makes at least one Volume Shadow Copy per day, possibly as large as 1gb, and adds to that every time it detects changes/modifications in files.

The same thing happens with other third party defraggers.

Before dismissing a perfectly good application, you should possibly do a little research yourself into this. It has been discussed on here and other forums many times.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...st&p=148457

Hope that helps.

It isn't just a System Restore issue with Vista. It's well documented that the loss of disk space is also attributable to Volume Shadow Copy.

Shadow Copy is disabled. I disable all that junk. System Restore, Shadow Copies, Windows Firewall, Defender, Security Center, Print Spooler, Readyboost, Superfetch, Windows Updates, Desktop Composition, User Account Control, Offline Files, Indexing, etc., etc., all off!

The same thing happens with other third party defraggers.

No...it doesn't. Not on my rig. Not to mention other defrag utilities are actually able to complete (usually in 1-3 minutes since I never let my drive get in bad shape) and not get stuck in a loop.

• Moderators
No...it doesn't. Not on my rig.

I'm afraid it does seem to do just that, and I provided links for you in the above post for you to see for yourself. It's impossible to relate this issue to every single PC, so I can't speak for your rig.

I'm not getting into a "does it" or "does it not" debate, as we are simply trying to find a solution to your problem, and the System Restore\Volume Shadow Copy issue is the one you will find discussed over and over again at many forums besides this one.

I haven't actually seen any other reason or cause for this issue discussed anywhere, otherwise I would have provided you with that information.

It may be worth raising your problem on one of the many Vista Forums, and at the end of the day, if you're convinced that Defraggler alone causes the problem, then of course it's your prerogative to use one of the third party defraggers you mention which doesn't.

I don't have any other suggestions for you I'm afraid, unless the developers of Defraggler can themselves find another cause besides those outlined.

The solution to "my problem" is simple...get rid of the bad software that causes the problem...Defraggler, then reinstall Windows, which I just did. Then I ran Auslogics defrag tool twice, once in normal quick mode, then again with the optimize option. The first completed in about 40 seconds, the second in about 8 minutes. My used disk space was the same afterwards other than maybe a few bytes for a log file, nothing noticable.

Again, Defraggler will not even complete, ever. It gets stuck in some kind of loop, making copies of files that it never is able to move/clear apparently (causing the eternal disk filling behavior). Forget that it fills my drive...it fails to even complete the defrag. Total failure on a clean, fresh, minimal install of windows. A Defrag utility just can't fail much worse than that.

• Moderators

The developers do read these posts, and I'm sure they will take note of the comments and observations you've taken the time and trouble to post.

From your point of view, the important thing is that you do have a solution for your defragging issue.

• 2 weeks later...

after a week, I suddenly got my harddisk space back (and an additional 10Gb, which is ofc allways nice ;) ). But as i sad in my starting post, even when i deleted the shadow copies, disabled all windows-defragging and backup systems, i still didnt recover anything...