Defraggler not working at all for me

matttye

Defraggler reported that my drive was 59% fragmented. I ran it twice and it was still 59% fragmented. I thought maybe the freespace was fragmented as well, so I defragged freespace and then defragged the drive again, but it still reports 59% fragmented.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

My PC has been a bit sluggish lately and I'm wondering if it's because I need to defrag.

I too have been having problems with the use of Defraggler. It was taking hours just to do 1% of the defrag.

What I found was an updater on my laptop sending the processing up to 100% using the task manager. After 2 hours of it working and seeing this use most of the processing I stopped it and it made defraggler speed up.

Maybe there is a process stopping your defrag and it could be that. So using the task manager have a look at what is running too high and close it to see if it makes it work more.

In such cases it's often seen that more things are the matter. Try to visit the free online scanner in my signature. It will defrag, clean, remove malware and more.

Did you run CCleaner before starting Defraggler? How often do you run chkdsk and scannow?

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I always run CCleaner before Defraggler, but I hadn't ran chkdsk or sfc /scannow in ages.

Scannow fixed a few corrupt files and chkdsk fixed a few volume errors. After running those two, I clicked on analyse in Defraggler again and it reported 7% fragmentation! I'm not sure what happened but my PC is running nice and quick again :D

sfc is useless once the system is auto updated from the web,

sfc asks for the os cd to be inserted to copy files to its own cache,

but guess what ? the os files have changed since the last auto update,

no longer the same as the one's on the cd,

sfc keeps asking for the correct cd to be inserted, which

is impossible by then and does no more than that,

useless

No, it isn't. It will repair a lot anyway. You usually skip the files in issue. But you write that it keeps asking for the right CD which is a bad sign. It suggests damage to recently installed files such as service pack files. It is actually possible to make a new CD yourself that can be used for sfc/ scannow but it's complicated. Here's a thread about it: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3678976.php