"Processing Aborted due to: Incorrect Function" error

wynk

Windows XP Home Edition, SP3. All critical updates have been applied.

Panda Anti-Rootkit scan turned up nothing.

Malwarebytes quick scan turned up nothing.

full antivirus and malwarebytes scans currently running...

I don't know how to make sense of a Defraggler log but this could be a driver issue? Secunia PSI keeps track of the most important updates. It's a fine freeware: https://psi.secunia.com//

Microsoft Update will also offer essential driver updates if you click the Custom button. Not the Express button. Link: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

However: it is usually recommended that you update drivers from the vendors site...

Thanks to ePost for suggesting the Secunia PSI program. I ran it and discovered that I had 4 different versions of the Flash plugin on my computer. I followed instructions in a Secunia forum post and uninstalled all old releases, then installed the lastest 10.x versions. Not sure if this was the issue, but I did finally deal with this important update.

I also rebooted twice, then suddenly Defraggler is working again! Could be that rebooting itself solved the problem

You're welcome. I have tested all the updaters I could find. And I have concluded that Secunia PSI and Update Notifier from CleanSofts.org are the best and I run both. A view shared by Gizmo at TechSupportAlert by the way.

Secunia also offers this service in the form of an online scanner. Free, of cause.

One significant advantage these programs will give you is that they actually recommends updates in the same language as you OS. The importance of this cannot be underestimated.

Must admit I've never used that sort of software before ... always 'done it myself' ... still got 99% which wasn't bad for over 400 installed programs. Only four holes, the biggest of which were old QuickTime player and Flash versions. Nonetheless a hole is a hole!

It's very thorough - I like a lot of the advanced settings that show the non-critical stuff. And of course it finds outdated software before you actually come to use it. I will definitely incorporate it in to my regular 'security watch'.