Defraggler won't defrag a single selected file

bimmerdriver

I have one large file (3 GB) that defraggler won't defragment. The file has one small section of a few hundred MB and one larger section comprising the rest of the file. The small fragment is surrounded by other files. The large fragment has several GB of space on either side. Yet defraggler will not move the file. Any ideas why this is happening? Is there anything I can do to get it to defrag the file?

In this post I'm also responding to your other thread: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=24563&hl=

Actually you're kind of supposed to run CCleaner before defragging with Defraggler. It does not make sense to defrag temporary (internet) files. Or cookies for that matter.

An anti-malware scanning wouldn't hurt. Such files often refuse to defragment.

Also Defraggler can do more in safe mode but it takes longer. I do it when I sleep! This is how:

1. Turn the power of -> start the PC and tab F8 quickly and again and again as soon as the PC is starting -> use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode -> tell the promts you want to stay in safe mode. Your PC's desk should now be black and have the words safe mode written in the corners.

2. Open Defragler -> Settings -> shut down after defrag -> make sure you have a tick mark there -> start full defrag

3. Go to bed and sleep. Defragler will log you out and shut your PC down when it's done several hours later!

The build-in defragmenter that your OS came with can also do more in safe mode but it has fewer features than Defraggler. However it wont defrag in safe mode on a Vista.

The last alternative that I consider safe is Microsoft's free online defragmenter. "Windows Live OneCare safety scanner" which is a free offer that Microsoft runs. It's a 360 actually. It can defrag, regclean, clean up, remove malware, optimize and what have you. It will also repair (some) damaged files.

Link: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm?mkt=en-us

I take it for a spin every now and then. It has hidden talents since only Microsoft knows exactly what Windows keys are genuinely obsolete. So it dare take more than any other regcleaner. Don't be surprised if it takes several hundred the first time.

That goes for leftover Microsoft files as well. When Microsoft updates your system and installs new versions the cleaning isn't always what it should be.

It will even update your OS. If you're running behind it will send the Yellow Shield to your Taskbar with all the updates that you need. It usually arrives within minutes after a full scan is done.

Note that there's a separate link for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users.

Windows Live OneCare safety scanner will stay put even though Microsoft no longer has the OneCare Security series for sale. So we will always have it should problems arise.

I have scanned the computer for malware and it is clean. The particular file is outlook.ost. As I said, the smaller fragment is surrounded by other files but the larger fragment has lots of free space at one end. (There appear to be no metafiles.) Irrespective of whether there are temporary files on the hard drive, there is no apparent reason why Defraggler won't defrag this file. It would be nice if it would explain why it cannot defragment files when there are GBs of free space. I am suspicous of the algorithm.

I'm sure about this: is because it's in use. Outlook is running.

Almost sure about this: In order to defrag that Outlook file you should defrag in safe mode.

Less sure about this: The program Contig should also be able to do it. Microsoft Sysinternals: http://technet.microsoft.com/da-dk/sysinte...428(en-us).aspx

I'm sure about this: is because it's in use. Outlook is running.

Almost sure about this: In order to defrag that Outlook file you should defrag in safe mode.

Less sure about this: The program Contig should also be able to do it. Microsoft Sysinternals: http://technet.microsoft.com/da-dk/sysinte...428(en-us).aspx

Thanks for the suggestion.

I shut down Outlook and tried it again. It still wouldn't defrag. Contig wouldn't defrag it either. Very strange.

I can't boot up in safe mode unless I'm on a network. I'll try tomorrow.