CCleaner Community Forums
ryhme555

Index dat files question.

hi,

I have read that there is 3 different index dat files on a persons computer. Does the CCleaner delete all 3 index dat files, and does it do it safely, that will not harm your computer.

Cheers.

When I run CCleaner, I see 3 index.dat files marked for deletion (they are deleted at reboot). So it appears the answer is yes, all three are deleted.

I've never had any problems from running CCleaner, so I'd say it's safe. Index.dat files don't do anything but pile up, so why would it hurt to delete them?

When I run CCleaner, I see 3 index.dat files marked for deletion (they are deleted at reboot). So it appears the answer is yes, all three are deleted.

I've never had any problems from running CCleaner, so I'd say it's safe. Index.dat files don't do anything but pile up, so why would it hurt to delete them?

Many thanks, you have been most reassuring.

What are the file locations of the 3 index.dat files (and any others that you know of)? I'd like to save that list for reference.

I did a search for index.dat on my computer as you suggested. There is no index.dat file in PCHealth, and I do not have a C:\I386 folder. The only index.dat files on C:\ (including system folders, hidden files and folders, and subfolders) are:

C:\Windows\Cookies

C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\UserData\index.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet

Files\index.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\Local Service\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\Local Service\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\Local Service\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Program Files\jv16 Power Tools 20005\Backups\xxxxxx\index.dat

C:\Program Files\RegSupreme Pro\Backups\xxxxxx\index.dat

If there are supposed to be index.dat system files in other places, then I do not have them. Running XP Pro SP2.