quick launch toolbar disappeared

arnaldo

Thanks!

That is definately on target, but didn't seem to help.

I looked and the quicklaunch folder is there and contains what looks like the right items. Re-registered the dll's, too.

I think the problem is Windows isn't remembering my desktop settings (task bar, toolbars, icon placement) through a shutdown / boot up. I've check the registry settings for "nosavesettings" (Explorer Policies), but the ones I've found are set to "0" (save settings). Something else is stopping it from remembering through a reboot, but I can't find it.

• Moderators

I take it this is what you were talking about tvulcan

http://dougknox.com/

Perhaps you could just try this and reboot? As it says, it cannot do any harm even though you say yours already displays this.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Wow! Nice site.

Didn't help, but I'll file that link away for future reference.

Again, the taskbar and desktop icons are "reset" with a restart. There has to be another registry entry that affects this behavior.

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

We are making limited progress.

Setting the Quick Launch as defalt for all users did make it appear. However, it does not remember how large it was and comes up about 1/4 the size it was when shut down.

Created a new user then logged in and set the desktop items similar to the existing user. Restarted logging into the new user and all settings were remembered.

Restarted and logged in as the old user and settings had been forgotten. BAck and forth a couple of time produces consistant results - new user is OK, old user settings are forgotten each restart.

Safe mode has always given me a different desktop, so I don't think that will tell us much.

Question: What if I delete the desktop.ini file for the problem user? Any harm done? (Could rename it instead of deleting.) Or copy the desktop.ini file from the user that works to the one that doesn't?

Or look at the registry for the user that works and compare to the one that doesn't (painful, and therefore a last resort)?

Thanks again.

• Moderators

I think that the fact you are able to save your settings using a new user profile must mean there is a problem with your current one. This is not an area I would care to make suggestions on.

I found this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

But would suggest you wait until someone more knowledgable than me in this area gives a few ideas.

I take it you ran ccleaner under the new profile without problems?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 4 months later...
The registry problem that you are referring to is from malware on your computer. If your registry key does say 'C:\Windows\System32\wsaupdater.exe,' you should post a hijack this log in the HJT thread, and get your computer cleaned. I found what you are talking about all over the place, and it is specifically due to malware. :(

Umm I have the same problem and no malware as I do not have wsaupdater.exe. I restore to previous CC Cleaner and no problem. With CC Cleaner and the advanced options selected as described above then there is a problem.

I do not know why you can not replicate it because it is obvious there are more of us that can than those of us that can not. The problem is in CC Cleaner. That is 100% fact.

L

Umm I have the same problem and no malware as I do not have wsaupdater.exe. I restore to previous CC Cleaner and no problem. With CC Cleaner and the advanced options selected as described above then there is a problem.

I do not know why you can not replicate it because it is obvious there are more of us that can than those of us that can not. The problem is in CC Cleaner. That is 100% fact.

L

I have everything checked in Advanced,

except "Menu Order Cache", and all works fine here.

Win XP sp2 fully patched.

CCleaner 1.38.485

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

I have everything checked in Advanced,

except "Menu Order Cache", and all works fine here.

Win XP sp2 fully patched.

CCleaner 1.38.485

Running the same thing as you. I did have Menu Order Cache checked at one time and I think therein lies the problem. It does something that is permanent. Everytime I log in now I have to manually restore it. A pain in the a$$.

L

• Moderators

The problem is it only affects some systems. For instance it may happen during your current install of Windows, but not on the next freshly installed Windows you have. Nonetheless the only Advanced options I use to this day are 'Custom Files and Folders'.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have the exact same problem as the original poster.

Quick Launch, Desktop etc they all reset every time I switch off.

It was directy after using version 1.35.424 for the first - and only - time

Ho Hum :(

I had this exact problem but was able to fix it by running the "Restore to XP Default * (clickable)" vbs file found here: kellys-korner-xp

This was noted in an earlier post:

• 10 months later...

Omfg yay. I didn't want to run the script because I was afraid that it would mess up my desktop. It fixed the problem I was having even though my situation was slightly different than all of the users who posted on the 4 page thread. Thank you Kelly and Doug, whoever you are. :rolleyes::lol: