quick launch toolbar disappeared

arnaldo

EDIT: Removed information and script to check userinit / wsaupdater.exe as its clearly not connected to this problem

• Moderators

WARNING!! If you do not edit your registry correctly, you will not be able to log back on to your computer. If you think that you may make a mistake, then PM AndyManchesta for a reg fix. That way there won't be the possibility of error. :)

Actually, Andy will you just post the reg fix please? That will make it easier. Thanks! :)

Huh? Now you've got me confused, what does that reply from another thread have to do with this? And no I'm not infected with wsaupdater.exe.

-----------

Back to CCleaner removing the QL Toolbar. I tried it again and couldn't get it to remove it, after rebooting the QL Toolbar was still there. So who knows why it messed with it before on my system and won't do it this time, and why it still bites some people and not others. Doesn't make allot of sense.

Huh? Now you've got me confused, what does that reply from another thread have to do with this? And no I'm not infected with wsaupdater.exe.

I didn't reply from another thread, and I am not saying that you are infected. Matt implied/stated that he had wsaupdater.exe (post 19) in his registry. I found tons of sites which stated that this is the cause of the QL disappearing on reboot. Furthermore, malware removal in general is a cause for the QL disappearing on reboot.

Sorry for any confusion. :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

-----------

Back to CCleaner removing the QL Toolbar. I tried it again and couldn't get it to remove it, after rebooting the QL Toolbar was still there. So who knows why it messed with it before on my system and won't do it this time, and why it still bites some people and not others. Doesn't make allot of sense.

I know what happened Andavari. I was trying to take your qoute from one thread to put it in another thread, and somehow it ended up here! (I'm not good at using that feature yet)

I was wondering why it didn't end up in the thread that I was trying to put it in. :lol:

Lordy, lordy.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi Matt

Ive not read all the topic so I apologize if you have already tried this. Is quick launch enabled on start menu's properties ?

Right click the start menu and choose properties , then click the Taskbar tab, place a check next to Show Quick Launch and press apply.

Next check that the Quick launch folders exist , goto start menu then run and copy and paste these commands into the run box and press OK after each command

%userprofile%\Applic~1\Microsoft\Intern~1

%Allusersprofile%\Applic~1\Microsoft\Intern~1

both should contain a quick launch folder

Andy

Hey Matt

I will have a play with cleaning on the advanced settings and see if I can re-create your problem on my system as its hard to know whats been changed at this stage

Hi Matt

I cannot help with this, I run Ccleaner a few times on the Advanced settings and it didn't disable Quick Launch, Try unlocking the toolbar first then enabling Quick launch and it may remember your settings when you reboot.

All The Best

Andy

• Moderators

Well it's probably going to be impossible to correct unless someone has one of those systems that it happens on.

What I would do if I didn't have a registry backup:

To figure out which registry key is being removed, etc., by:

1. Creating a temporary Admin account that has never had the registry cleaned.

2. Backup that temporary Admin account registry with ERUNT.

3. Run an installation watcher such as Total Uninstall (Freeware) before using that Advanced cleaning routine to find out which registry entry is being effected.

4. Once the entry is found it should be written down (the location), and then use the ERUNT registry backup to restore the registry.

5. Open RegEdit and export the good registry information for the QuickLaunch Toolbar to a .reg file, and then switch to your main user profile, and import the good registry information into your main user profile to fix it.

Here are the instructions for fixing the QL problem. Matt tested it out, and it worked. (Thank god ;) )

1. Fix Quick Launch Problems

2. Once the page opens > scroll down and click the options that says "Restore to XP Default* (clickable)"

Nice catch K :)

I wonder if that meant there was a Classic Shell or a similar policy enabled :unsure: It's great to know Kelly's VB script fixes the problem incase we see it again.

Nice catch K :)

I wonder if that meant there was a Classic Shell or a similar policy enabled :unsure: It's great to know Kelly's VB script fixes the problem incase we see it again.

My guess is that it's a policy issue. A lot (about 3) of MS updates have been screwing up policy issues over the last few months.

It's nice to know that this fixes it, but I still want to know what the actual fix is. That is, what is being changed to fix the problem?

Maybe it's readable. I didn't download it myself. I'll take a look. My curiosity is not yet satisfied. :P I am going to email kelly and see what I can find out too.

Hey K , The VB script will be readable, just right click and choose Edit, I think it would fix alot of different issues rather than one specific problem but its worth a look, The Quick Lauch problem isnt something Id seen before and with me not having any problems with the Ccleaner Advanced cleanup (except removing the $hf_mig$ folder and contents but it missed the backup $hf_mig$ Id saved :) ) It's difficult to know where to start , maybe Kelly will make that clearer to you

• Moderators

I downloaded it and will keep a version of it handy just in case, which is allot easier than creating a new Admin profile to extract registry keys from.

The only thing is things listed on the page that K linked to that have "* Denotes only available for the licensed version." won't be able to be fixed using the free version.

I downloaded it and will keep a version of it handy just in case, which is allot easier than creating a new Admin profile to extract registry keys from.

The only thing is things listed on the page that K linked to that have "* Denotes only available for the licensed version." won't be able to be fixed using the free version.

I'm not sure what that means. But it says this too.

Note: The clickable listings are for the individual downloads in lieu of.

I suppose I have a lot of reading to do. I think that it might be referring to "Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!", but I'm not positive. Thanks for pointing that out Andavari. Good eye.. ;)

• 5 months later...

i just installed ccleaner last week. i had checked all the advanced options except for custom files/folders. after every reboot i had to:

1) unlock the taskbar

2) select the quicklaunch toolbar

3) re-enable "hide tray icons"

4) re-arrange any desktop icons that were added just prior to running ccleaner.

it's as if these 4 items are either being "cleaned" again everytime at startup, or something is preventing them from being re-saved/stored. my permissions are fine and no pertinant folders/files are marked as read-only, etc.

i then merged my registry backups and this appears to have solved the problem (although new desktop icon positions still are not saved unless i log off/on as opposed to restarting the machine) but is there any new information? i looked over this thread in detail and it seems no one has found the cause for the problem or the registry keys in question.

running windows xp pro sp2

any help or info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums deckard! :)

If you don't know exactly what some of the features under 'Advanced' do make certain you look at the Beginners Guide, and if that doesn't give you the info you need just create a new thread and ask, someone is bound to give an answer.

Your tray icons were reset when you used 'Tray Notifications Cache' and rebooted. Its sole purpose is to remove the icons of uninstalled software which had tray icons and is a quick way of cleaning up the configuration area of Custom Notifications (I think CCleaner should rename this to what it is in Windows though).

To reconfigure your tray icons do this:

1. Right click a blank area on the Taskbar and select Properties

2. Click Customize

Thank you! :D

I am well aware of what all the features in Advanced actually do.

What I am saying is that I had to do what you are describing EVERY time I rebooted after running CCleaner only once, much like the other people in this thread who had the same problem and had to use the Taskbar fix/tools.

I had to keep doing this (as well as the other 3 steps in my previous post) every time until I restored my registry backups. Again, I had only run CCleaner once - I do not have it set to run every time Window starts or anything like that, etc..

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

I notice the last post here was in August. I had this issue last week and have tried every "fix" listed in this thread (as well as any others I have found with Google searches). Once I noticed the problem, I tried to use the backups, but 2 of them would not process (sorry, I forget the exact error message).

Anyway, has anyone found any other potential fixes for this issue other than reloading Windows? (All I have is a restore CD to factory setup. For a 4 year old PC, that's just not an option.)

Many thanks in advance.

• Moderators

If you're on Windows XP you could use a restore point to return to the time before Quick Launch was disabled. Other than that I have no suggestions because it's something in the registry, and exactly where I don't know.

• Moderators

The only thing I have read is on this page about half way down, but it may be a bit of what others have already said, I don't know.

http://pcworld.com/article/id,126116-page,...nt/article.html

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com