quick launch toolbar disappeared

arnaldo

Hello, this is my first post.

I use Crap cleaner often, and i never noticed any problem, but yesterday for the first time i have activated "Advanced" options ... clean cache ...clean tray notify.... ecc..

I choose this option one time only, then i have deselected it.

But now, every time i shutdown windows and restart, my quick start toolbar isn't there, and i must reactivate, i had an other toolbar in desktop, like a shortcut (simply drag and drop a shortcut to a side of the screen...)..... disappeared also.

If i recreate these toolbars, shutdown and restart PC i don't see them again.

It' a big bug!! Please help me!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello, this is my first post.

I use Crap cleaner often, and i never noticed any problem, but yesterday for the first time i have activated "Advanced" options ... clean cache ...clean tray notify.... ecc..

I choose this option one time only, then i have deselected it.

But now, every time i shutdown windows and restart, my quick start toolbar isn't there, and i must reactivate, i had an other toolbar in desktop, like a shortcut (simply drag and drop a shortcut to a side of the screen...)..... disappeared also.

If i recreate these toolbars, shutdown and restart PC i don't see them again.

It' a big bug!! Please help me!!!!!!

i got that same problem too, just uninstall ccleaner

the problem should be either Windows Size/Location Cache under Windows tab and/or More Windows Explorer under Application tab (winapp2.ini)

and maybe the problem is cause by other applications and/or windows settings... some programs disable the setting of Folder Views...

--==aGumon==--

In the Windows tab under Advanced uncheck 'Tray Notifications Cache', and 'Window Size/Location Cache'.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

In the Windows tab under Advanced uncheck 'Tray Notifications Cache', and 'Window Size/Location Cache'.

i have the whole advanced settings unchecked now, i even uninstalled ccleaner. but every time i reboot my computer the quick launch toolbar is not there. i have to reload it manually every restart.

i have the whole advanced settings unchecked now, i even uninstalled ccleaner. but every time i reboot my computer the quick launch toolbar is not there. i have to reload it manually every restart.

What OS are you running? And do you have the Task Bar locked?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

On my side I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 and the task bar is locked.

And you also don't have 'Tray Notifications Cache', and 'Window Size/Location Cache' checked? If you don't have these checked then CCleaner is not your problem.

Both were unchecked.

It all started with CCleaner though.

Could the problem be because of winapp2.ini ? It hasn't been updated in ages.

I doubt it because I don't have the problems that you're having.

I have also tried multiple things to replicate your problem, and haven't been able to do so. (I actually tried to mess it up, but it's still not producing any problems like yours). Sorry that I can't be more helpful. :(

• Moderators

The problem is within the default CCleaner setup under Advanced and has been that way for over a year now. If it's causing the exact same problem to multiple users I would highly suspect it's a bug.

Perhaps (not verified) CCleaner is removing the whole registry entry not just the settings which is causing this.

The problem is within the default CCleaner setup under Advanced and has been that way for over a year now. If it's causing the exact same problem to multiple users I would highly suspect it's a bug.

Yay, a few centuries and it be fixed. :lol:

Even if I uncheck the option, I still can't get my quick lauch thingy to lauch with windows. Any way to fix it in regedit?

• Moderators

Even if I uncheck the option, I still can't get my quick lauch thingy to lauch with windows. Any way to fix it in regedit?

Once it cleans it, it is g...o...n...e!

You'd have to use RegEdit to fix it, or use a System Restore point to just before using CCleaner. How to fix it I don't know hence I'm not going to enable that option again because I'm constantly using links in the QL toolbar.

Perhaps (not verified) CCleaner is removing the whole registry entry not just the settings which is causing this.

I'm not so sure about that anymore Andavari. I ran CCleaner multiple times with everything under Advanced checked, and my QL bar will not go away. If I can't replicate the problem by using CCleaner, then how is CCleaner the culprit?

I had that problem with version 1.26, but I haven't been able to reproduce it 1.27. <_<

hmmmmmmm. Now I'm even more curious as to what's going on. Will a sfc /scannow fix the problem? (Nevermind, I'll look it up now)

I called a computer guru mate of mine and here's a possible fix:

In Registry Editor (Start > Run... > regedit), navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon. Look for 'Name: Userinit'. In that, you will see 'Data: %system32%\wsaupdater.exe,'. Note that %system32% represents the path to the System32 folder. For example, if the path is C:\Windows\System32, then the data would be: 'C:\Windows\System32\wsaupdater.exe,'

Instead of wsaupdater.exe, the data should contain userinit.exe, (including the comma at the end). Using the example above, the data should now read: C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe. Make the change accordingly; close the Registry Editor and reboot your computer. "

I called a computer guru mate of mine and here's a possible fix:

In Registry Editor (Start > Run... > regedit), navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon. Look for 'Name: Userinit'. In that, you will see 'Data: %system32%\wsaupdater.exe,'. Note that %system32% represents the path to the System32 folder. For example, if the path is C:\Windows\System32, then the data would be: 'C:\Windows\System32\wsaupdater.exe,'

Instead of wsaupdater.exe, the data should contain userinit.exe, (including the comma at the end). Using the example above, the data should now read: C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe. Make the change accordingly; close the Registry Editor and reboot your computer. "

The registry problem that you are referring to is from malware on your computer. If your registry key does say 'C:\Windows\System32\wsaupdater.exe,' you should post a hijack this log in the HJT thread, and get your computer cleaned. I found what you are talking about all over the place, and it is specifically due to malware. :(

Damn, my quick lauch thing still dissapears after each reboot. Bloody annoying.

These symptoms are caused by Malware. This page discusses the preliminary steps required to remove this Desk band object, before running spyware removal tools.

Phase I - Removing the Search Assistant Toolbar from the Taskbar

Click Start, Run and type this command exactly as given and press Enter:

regsvr32 /u "%Systemroot%\System32\omniband.dll"

This uninstalls the Search Assistant Desk Band settings in the registry. Next, rename the file omniband.dll to old_omniband.dll and reboot Windows.

Phase II - Fixing a registry entry which causes the Quick Launch issue (not retaining the settings)

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe appropriately if Windows is installed in a different drive.

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

Phase III - Removing the Malware from the system Now you need to remove the malware!!

One more thing. The quick launch problem is also related to malware removal! Bummer. I'm looking for the solution after that point as well.

After removing the malware the Quick Launch problem can still occur. Downloading this VBS file may fix the QL problem after removing the malware.

To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive

(you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

kellys-korner-xp

(download - Can't Create Toolbar Error Message) in the above link. This one corrects the issue that spyware cleaners break.

KodakCCS.exe "Kodak DC File System Driver (Win32)" on my system is located in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Kodak\kodak_dr

Of course I don't let it run.

Although there's a ton of startup programs you have some shutdown issues I was having for almost two years was cured by installing Microsoft User Profile Hive Cleanup Service.

WARNING!! If you do not edit your registry correctly, you will not be able to log back on to your computer. If you think that you may make a mistake, then PM AndyManchesta for a reg fix. That way there won't be the possibility of error. :)

Actually, Andy will you just post the reg fix please? That will make it easier. Thanks! :)