3 days and counting,avira in big server trouble.

aqua

• Moderators

I never get Avira updates on a Sunday, most times there's none on Saturdays either :)

Thing is I really like Avira, the way it works and the detection rate.

Perhaps now they have admitted to redirecting xp users to the IPv6 connections for the definition downloads (when it's not possible for xp users to use this protocol yet) things might change.

Their False Postitive reporting system is very good I have found, I reported one last week, it was confirmed in minutes and it was reflected in the next update session later in the day.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I never get Avira updates on a Sunday, most times there's none on Saturdays either :)

Thing is I really like Avira, the way it works and the detection rate.

Maybe I'm missing something here...OK, no wisecracks...but I just never have had a big problem with Avira ipdates. Got an update last night (Saturday), very soon after aqua's post #51. Also, often check status and usually find out that Avira is already up to date.

Started using Avira because Hazelnut likes it, it runs lighter, has a good detection rate and the umbrella is nifty. Can't compare with Avast!'s siren, but still nifty. Avira has worked well where I've installed it.

Is the update issue really serious enough to prompt a switch?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I will stick with avira for the time being Login for the very reasons I mentioned.

It'll have to get really bad for me to switch :)

As you mentioned updates don't happen at the weekend usually because it says it is up to date, not because it cannot manage to download them.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll stay with Avira on the other computers. Most pressing issue is resource use, plus I bet Avira gets this tuned up pretty soon. Will watch the situation more closely. If it stays gummed up like it is right now, I may have to shiver me timbers, weigh me anchor, and sail off to other waters. :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
Is the update issue really serious enough to prompt a switch?

It's what had me switch to different AV's many years ago even to the dreaded Norton AV back when I wasn't too impressed at all with Avast - I'm referring to the Win98 era up to 2003 when I switched to XP. However back then update issues were the very least of AntiVir's issues, actually it has always been prone to issues from my own personal experiences and back in the day it was random crashing.

It still has issues though, some of which are only visible via Windows Event Viewer logs which were present in AntiVir 9 which made be switch right back to Avast after a month long test.

Although with new AntiVir versions I do at least thoroughly test them. The update issue has been present for years now even before there was a Windows Vista (and supposed issues with XP connecting to the servers).

• Moderators

I wonder why they don't just network all the free users together to deliver very rapid updates, i.e.; if you're a free user they could use some of your unused bandwidth for getting VDF updates to other free users. Just a thought with all that unused bandwidth potential being there.

Just thought I'd try to see if the big update was about.

Downloaded 22MB's in 2 minutes.

Updated 41 files.

Unbelievable!!

Yup just got the update (and separate program update) too, just hope it does the trick and fixes the update issues