Returnil or Sandboxie ?

abu aufa

• Moderators

I don't think ''which is best'' is the best way to ask for opinions.

A verses B threads never work :)

Sandboxie and returnil operate in different ways. I love sandboxie and I would never browse without it. However Returnil has some great plus points when testing software out.

Dennis uses both I thnk, perhaps he will give some imput here when he sees this thread abu.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi abu afa. :)

What I like about sandboxie is it's visibility. When a program is running sandboxed, all the changes it creates can be seen in the sandbox. On this computer, that folder is C:\Sandbox. You can delete stuff if you like. I use a bat file, not the sandboxie recommended method, to securely delete the sandbox from time to time. There have been suggestions that things can escape the sandbox, sorry I cannot give you a link, but that has never happened here. Sandboxie is not supported for 64 bit, and has problems w/ Vista: Sandboxie Forum

I don't use Returnil much, DennisD is really knowledgeable about it, but Powershadow works much the same way. The good thing about either of those apps is that if all else fails and you get hammered, when you restart the problem is gone. No excepions here, so far, for Powershadow. 1.gif

They will run together, provide good layers, I think.

DennisD and Andavari will be along in a bit, they know more.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

About how much memory does Sandboxie on average use while running?

alot and the more windows you open the more memory it takes up. I have it but hardly use it because of that, just don't like it at all

avast, avira, malwarebytes, ad-aware, superantispyware, windows defender--------paragon, macrium reflect, ubuntu, terabyte

alot and the more windows you open the more memory it takes up. I have it but hardly use it because of that, just don't like it at all

That's surprising since the install file is less than a Meg in size. Thanks for the info though.

I've never used an app like Sandboxie, so I'm reading more about it and trying to decide if it's worth while. Another layer of protection is always a good thing, but if it's a RAM hog and just slows the computer down, it's probably not worth it to me.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

thanks its just that after reading what was on returnil website about how it works i wasn't sure if it would work with av's, am's

avast, avira, malwarebytes, ad-aware, superantispyware, windows defender--------paragon, macrium reflect, ubuntu, terabyte

• Moderators

I've never had that problem with Sandboxie. This is the memory usage right at this moment with 5 tabs open not including this one. I surfed happily with 512mb until recently, and memory was never an issue at all.

http://pixpipeline.com/l/ce4d57c512e9.jpg

Just for info, I've just opened 10 bookmarks in tabs, and 2 in new windows, and memory usage for all 4 services is under 10mb.

How do other users compare with this?

That's surprising since the install file is less than a Meg in size. Thanks for the info though.

I've never used an app like Sandboxie, so I'm reading more about it and trying to decide if it's worth while. Another layer of protection is always a good thing, but if it's a RAM hog and just slows the computer down, it's probably not worth it to me.

See the attached Sandboxie`s thumbnails these are self explanatory.

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

About how much memory does Sandboxie on average use while running?

Same as DennisD, memory never been a problem here (XP home). Don't have the same numbers as in his picture, but it uses about the same percentage of total RAM.

I've run the following combinations w/ no conflicts (all the while using Spybot, SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard):

Sandboxie + Powershadow

Sandboxie + Returnil

Sandboxie + Returnil + AVG + Comodo Fwl

Sandboxie + Returnil + AVG + zone Fwl

Sandboxie + Powershadow + Avast + Zone Fwl

Sandboxie + Powershadow + Avast + Comodo Fwl

Sandboxie + Powershadow + Avast + Outpost Fwl

A-Squared full version caused a conflict with Avast. Avast scanner wouldn't start, explorer would lock up.

Spybot's Tea Timer uses a ton of memory. Microsoft Security Essentials did too, but it was not a fair test.

SpywareGuard uses a lot of memory.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Thanks for testing and posting the results, Login123 .

Spybot is a bit overestimated in my view. But a-squared is improving. Used to have a lot of false positives. BitDefenders freeware scanner is a bit underestimated. It can remove what it finds. Like SAS and MBAM there's no realtime protection. That's basically what there is of freeware scanners with removal and no realtime protection, I believe: SAS, MBAM, a-squared, BitDefender. We all need a few of those for second opinion.

I just installed Sandboxie, which seemed to complete successfully, but I get the following error whenever I try to run the app:

SBerror.jpg

What needs to be done to fix this problem?

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

I think this is THE ANSWER,TeeJay3800 ;)

Thanks, abu. Unfortunately, even after following the instructions in that link and then uninstalling/reinstalling Sandboxie, I STILL get the same error. I'm at a loss at this point. We'll see what the Sandboxie forum says.

Sandboxie did not lidt that under System Requirements in their FAQs. Not Nice of them! :P

Unfortunately, that's not uncommon. Windows 2000 is often listed as being "officially supported", but there is no mention of things like this that prevent the app from functioning on Win2k.

EDIT: The problem is resolved and Sandboxie is working great! If anyone else encounters the same problem, see here for info: http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=41747.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

Good fix, TeeJay3800. Just a thought, it might be useful to other members if you posted about how it works on your system...memory and RAM use, slow downs, etc.

I can not see that it makes any diffrence here, although other members report differently.

edit: epost, you said "Spybot is a bit overestimated in my view". You're right, it runs a bit heavy, and there are probably other apps which duplicate its protections. I keep it because it has been around since the dawn of time, and in the good ole days it was one of the few dependable anti-malaware apps available. Also, it doesn't affect the function of my system enough to notice, and the Tea Timer has caught changes which got past everything else. Same for the venerable SpywareGuard. Not recommendations, just a statement of what works here. :)

Yes, I know. Realtime protection for spyware as a stand alone is a bit tricky if it's freeware we're talking about. Most freeware have virus and spyware in one and the same program. Spyware Terminator is all I can think of as an alternative right now. And Windows Defender.