Boot-Time Defrag...

Mr. E

• Moderators

I just use MBAM's in-built Fileassassin to delete pagefile.sys, then reboot and Windows rebuilds it completely defragmented and out of the way of normal files. Not that it's the correct way to deal with it but in works for me in WinXP Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes like this Idea it could also Be used for Defragging the MFT data since It will be free to mess with on boot.

As well as pagefiles. Boot time defragging is a must. There is another Defrag program that uses boot time to defrag

MFT and page files on boot and it works good.

so this Is something to look into.

the program im talking about is, Disk keeper. does boot time defrag On MFT and page files.makes the PC faster =].

I just use MBAM's in-built Fileassassin to delete pagefile.sys, then reboot and Windows rebuilds it completely defragmented and out of the way of normal file

Yes like this Idea it could also Be used for Defragging the MFT data...

Umm.. I don't think deleting your MFT would be a good idea :)

fireryone

+1 from me for boot-time defrag.

This issue has been discussed a couple of times here. Many people say: "Don't mess with these (pagefile, MFT, ...) files! They are too important." For MFT this might be true, but the pagefile can be rebuilt anytime, afaik. Anyway, other defragers have boot-time defrag too (eg. PerfectDisc), so why not Defraggler? And there are other files that might be locked during normal operation.

As for the pagefile, I never had it fragmented so far. I always set it to a fixed size right after Windows install. Then there is no reason why it should ever get fragmented. So, removing the pagefile (set its size to 0), defraging free space, and rebuild the pagefile should do the job.

Anyway, I think it would be an important feature. People who don't like it wouldn't have to use it.

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely support the idea of adding Boot-Time Defragmentation to Defraggler!

If Defragmentation can add to System Performance,

it can -Only/Mostly/Better- do it Before Windows are launched (i.e. during Boot-Time).

Most Defragmentation Applications work when Windows Files are Open,

and this makes me wonder if

such a Defragmentation can -Actually/Really- add to System Performance (???)