MS free av officially released

rridgely

• Moderators

Have been running it on an old XP pc I have and I like it.

The first scan I did (quick scan) it took quite a while, but after that only takes a couple of minutes for a scan.

Of course some people won't like it but that happens with any software.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

They recommend you have 1GB of RAM for the AV in the System Requirements. IMO that's way too much RAM for an AV to be requiring. From the Beta though, it didn't use that much memory, and it looked like a pretty solid AV to me. Might test it out soon.

• Moderators
That doesn't mean it uses all that ram, just that you shouldn't use it if your system has less. It only works on xp and up and you shouldn't be running less than 1gig on xp anyway...

Bet there are plenty of folk who are running xp on 512mb :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't be. :P

If your computer has ddr2 ram you can double your ram for $10. It will be a noticeable upgrade in performance when your running multiple programs.

If your computer is using ddr ram, then let it be and upgrade the computer once it dies.:lol:

Going to check around a bit. More interested in what it conflicts with than anything else.

edit. after a quick look:

Reviewers seem to like but are being cautious.

just installed it ran a quick scan, 9 minutes, and a selective scan.

Looks pretty good, configurable, offers options to remove, quarantine, or restore for found threats.

No reboot required, so can be tested under returnil or powershadow. edit: well, reboot required to upgrade.

No conflicts with preinstalled avast, spywareguard, spywareblaster, or spybot.

But I wouldn't run it concurrent with avast unless one of the spyware moderators on here said that is OK.

realtime protection found a double zipped eicar test file and a zipped rootkit when I tried to copy them.

Selective scan found both, also.

Looks pretty good here, so far.

Going to run a full scan now, then reboot out of powershadow.

If I don't come back, send a big dog with a flask. :P

Edit #2: didn't run the full scan, had to quit, so don't know how long. For me the best news is that it will install, run, scan, and find under Returnil or PS.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Well to give you guys my final verdict on MSE after testing it out today: It's a great AV! (That was unexpected. :lol:).

Tested it out today, and here's my results in a nutshell.

1. Scans very quick, but the first scan takes a little bit longer, but after that it takes less time.

2. Seems to be very good at catching viruses. Caught all of the EICAR test viruses and other test viruses from other AV testing sites.

3. User interface is great. Very clean and refreshing.

4. No reboot required after installing.

5. Seems to be better than my NOD32 (definitely uses less memory, it seems just as good as NOD32, and it's FREE!).

I'll be keeping this one on my computer for a while, and I'll give you guys more information about how it preforms after some more testing. ;)

Also, one more thing to add to this post; even though it says 1GB of RAM is recommended, right now for me it's using only about 20k memory!

I have a genuine installation of Windows XP Pro and even this first ever public release version won't install, just like the beta wouldn't. :rolleyes: Still a happy Avast user though!

yeaah..sticking with my best 3 >Avira|GData|Avast Pro

• Moderators

I tried this.

I don't know how effective it is(obviously) but it runs nicely. Not bloated, nice interface, spyware & virus, free. Sounds like they may have a winner if its good at preventing/cleaning infections.

After the quick check, I checked on the "Upgrade" box. Turns out you do have to reboot after that. Also, not sure yet, but seems like it slows down other operations a bit. sooooo, waiting.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators
Also, not sure yet, but seems like it slows down other operations a bit. sooooo, waiting.

All resident AV's do to some degree. Although most will have a very difficult time being as light and airy on a system with good specs as Avast and AntiVir run.

Of course put even Avast and AntiVir on a lower spec machine and it will run even slower.

All resident AV's do to some degree. Although most will have a very difficult time being as light and airy on a system with good specs as Avast and AntiVir run.

Yes, they do. Maybe the slowdown was because I actually had Avast and mse going at the same time.

Just have logged in to the forum over there, want to see what the users are saying. The app still looks pretty good.

Boy do those microsoft guys know how to write a EULA/contract/terms of use document. :P

Yes, they do. Maybe the slowdown was because I actually had Avast and mse going at the same time.

Just have logged in to the forum over there, want to see what the users are saying. The app still looks pretty good.

Boy do those microsoft guys know how to write a EULA/contract/terms of use document. :P

Then use the EULA Alyzer on it :)

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/eulalyzer.html (free for personal use)

fireryone

Hi -

I found it had a minor conflict with my Avira (when both were active) -_- - So I disabled Avira temporarilly and found it ran well -

I think it is meant to be a 'stand alone' AV once you read the EULA - (Very comprehensive text, as usual for M/soft) -

it looks crappy, i also hate how with almost every new computer they pre-install norton or mcafee for 30 days, talk about a waste of my time, uninstalling so much stuff when getting a new computer

avast, avira, malwarebytes, ad-aware, superantispyware, windows defender--------paragon, macrium reflect, ubuntu, terabyte

it looks crappy, i also hate how with almost every new computer they pre-install norton or mcafee for 30 days, talk about a waste of my time, uninstalling so much stuff when getting a new computer

I dont think the UI is to bad. Thought it would be worse. Every one needs funding. And not every one knows about AV and what to get.

I'd bet it's a extremly high % of first time pc buyers would of never heard of avast etc. So they would need something.

No fate but what we make

You can't judge a program from it's looks (most of the time).