New External

Winapp2.ini

I just bought a new external harddrive (1.5TB, I payed 20$ more to see "TB" instead of 930GB or whatever 1000^3 is in terms of GB, darn manufacturers TB..;P)

It came with some junk on it I dont want but more importantly; in FAT32, Should I format it to NTFS or leave it as FAT32?

It came with some junk on it I dont want but more importantly; in FAT32, Should I format it to NTFS or leave it as FAT32?

I don't know which system you are using but you can't format NTFS on WinXP only FAT and its not FAT32 either. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I don't know which system you are using but you can't format NTFS on WinXP only FAT and its not FAT32 either. ;)

odd :P

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/kens...193910/ntfs.png

I've several computers running Vista/7 if need be as well; but I've heard its better to format it NTFS. (Confirm/deny?)

I believe you have that reversed ... Windows XP formats to NTFS. I'm not sure about XP Pro but XP Home only supports formatting to NTFS.

Winapp2.ini: Use NTFS if you intend to store large files, e.g., video. With FAT32, maximum file size is 4GB minus 1 byte.

EDIT: I should have said "... XP Home only supports formatting to NTFS if the partition is greater than 32GB". I forgot that FAT32 is an option for small partitions.

I believe you have that reversed ... Windows XP formats to NTFS. I'm not sure about XP Pro but XP Home only supports formatting to NTFS.

Winapp2.ini: Use NTFS if you intend to store large files, e.g., video. With FAT32, maximum file size is 4GB minus 1 byte.

EDIT: I should have said "... XP Home only supports formatting to NTFS if the partition is greater than 32GB". I forgot that FAT32 is an option for small partitions.

Excuse me , and someone correct me if I`m wrong but you can format fat or fat 32 in XP. If it was default when you first installed XP. Or you can use your HDD man. CD or Floppy. You can also store or format fat 32 Larger than 32 GB. I have a WD 320 GB HDD Maxtor 100 HDD 2 Maxtor 40 GB and they are Fat32!

Take Care Lumps

" I`m so far behind I think I`m FIRST"

Lumps: I think you're correct ... if you by-pass the Computer Management console. It appears that is what imposes the 32GB limit as a parameter. I found some articles saying you can force a format beyond 32GB by running format from a command line with other parameters.

I never pursued it since I cannot accept the 4GB file size limit.

My WinXP Pro will only format FAT on a floppy and my external 160GB drive will only format FAT, NTFS isn't listed. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

If you use manufacturers disc, or (Maxtor, Seagate, Asus Etc.) It has menu options to Zero Or One the drive or to format Fat or NFTS, whether its storage or primary OS drive. I have used Maxtor CD and Floppy to format different HD`S and so far its worked well. When windows only gives me a choice to format in NFTS, I use the disc or floppy to change to fat. I have a 500 GB Iomega storage drive all fat 32. I know NFTS is more secure but its just my preference because I like to play.

Lumps

" I`m so far behind I think I`m FIRST"

If you use manufacturers disc, or (Maxtor, Seagate, Asus Etc.) It has menu options to Zero Or One the drive or to format Fat or NFTS, whether its storage or primary OS drive. I have used Maxtor CD and Floppy to format different HD`S and so far its worked well.

Yes I downloaded Maxtor/Seagate MaxBlast when I had a Maxtor drive in my old computer. Yes it asks what operating system you need to use and it formats FAT32 or NTFS. But this only works on Maxtor/Seagate drives so if your using another drive manufacturer you are stu***d. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best