CCleaner Registry Clean

Gronxx

I've used CCleaner since way back in the Crappy Old Days, and I've used some good registry cleaners for years, too. I have 4 very handy janitorial-type apps listed as 1, 2, 3, 4 on my permanent XP taskbar submenu under TLC. As fast as I can hit the selections 1, 2, 3, 4, they all commence their tasks at once.

CCleaner /AUTO is in the number 1 position.

But I also have a more careful and watchul category, where I can invoke CCleaner as a more careful app, and there I go to clean the registry via CCleaner's Registry option.

But it works too well.

I have been doing this a long time. I have never run into any problems at all. So now I'd like to move CCleaner's Registry-Clean function to take up a new position on my rapid-fire 1, 2, 3, 4 list.

But I can't. What I need is an option allowing a line command to set up JUST the CCleaner Regstry function to run silently and independently. Then I can set that as my number 2 or my number 5 shortcut (i.e. 5 ~ CCleaner ? Registry ; that is what my taskbar TLC menu entries look like). And, like my other quick fixers, the job would be done pronto.

This system works so well that I run CCleaner every time I complete a surfing session on the web. Why not? It takes me 1? seconds to trigger CCleaner and I can immediately continue with my other work.

So, yes, I want to give CCleaner free reign to go for the registry clean. It is not going to hurt anything. That I know from experience. (I do it routinely with RegSeeker, too, on a 4x no-backup no-exceptions scan. Never any trouble at all, as long as I stay with XP x32. RegSeeker causes some grief with XP x64.)

Thank you.

Deleting registry entrys automated is a terrible idea. And something i would never suggest any one do.

CCleaner could run a million times fine. then mess up. it only takes once. Do you even check the entrys you are fixing or just click fix? :/

No fate but what we make

I agree with the other guy. You need to make sure that the registry keys that are ready to be fixed are obsolete or useless keys before they can safely be fixed. Deletion of important registry keys, intentionally or accidentally, will cause some programs to work badly or can result to system instability.

Automatic registry cleaning does not allow you to choose which keys you want to get fixed, those you want to back up, or those you want to be in the ignore list anyway. One solution is to show a dialog box that would appear before the automatic cleaning starts, prompting you to choose what you want to do with the potentially faulty registry keys before any cleaning operation is done.

CCleaner had so far not caused me any problems even if I just fix all the registry errors it detects. But I did suggest it to do a deeper registry scan.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Microsoft installed a "Teach yourself XP" tutorial in my profile.

I knew more about XP than those morons within one month.

My daughter logged in to her profile so I could configure CCleaner for her use.

I never intended her to clean the registry, but I had to see what CCleaner was prepared to purge.

I was horrified to see that a large number of installer type registry keys were on the death list,

and I recognised what they were designating as left-over remnants of deleted files.

Those files had in fact NEVER existed so far as my daughter's profile was concerned,

they were all visible from within MY profile,

and it was Microsoft's fault that they chose to install the files and folders in my profile,

and to make all the registry keys publicly available.

It was Microsoft's fault, but I would have suffered the consequences if my daughter had cleaned the registry.

(Soon after I decided I might as well completely remove Microsoft's incompetent junk.)

I always examine and contemplate every registry key that is proposed for removal.

I do not worry about unused extensions so long as I recognise them as being recently used by portable Apps etc.,

but if anything is alleged to be a left-over remnant I always satisfy myself that it corresponds to something I have recently removed.

I like safety, but if you prefer the view from the edge of the cliff that is your privilege ! !

Alan

Yes, it would be my prerogative if it were an option, so that is why I suggested it. After some years and a lot of scans, you become more strict about some things and more casual about others. However, I would not demand that you folks do things my way. I'd just like to do it that way myself.

CCleaner could even place a caution—maybe not Living On the Edge, but perhaps Not Recommended or whatever CCleaner felt the danger zone might be. I think it is Spybot that refers to a couple of settings that you can find if you know how to find them, and maybe CCleaner might try that approach.

I suppose all of you folks do use NTREGOPT and know how to start your computer from an XP with the ERDNT backup, because it looks like you prefer much more safety than I do. You know, I've only ever had to do that once. I usually run several OSs from my main box plus I run two other computers—XP x32, XP x64, Vista x32—plus I spend a lot of time doing repairs and fixups for other people. I run CCleaner about three times an HOUR most days, year in and year out. As I said in my original post, it takes me 1? seconds to run it, and I just keep working, so why not?

But the registry clean takes me longer than that. Plus although I don't modify the results as a rule, I very often watch them.

The very worst CCleaner problem I've ever seen involved some innocuous-seeming Word 2000 registry settings, which looked totally as though they just WOULD NOT matter—but they DID matter. Word had an interesting safeguard that presupposed that ANY registry change—affecting ANY Word files in the manner of the CCleaner change—would represent a safety risk; and the MS response to that was to default a lot of Word settings for safety. And THAT basically made a few thousand Word users wonder what on earth was wrong with their Normal.dot file. (In other words, CCleaner was triggering a precautionary reset-to-default built in to Word, when CCleaner cleaned these supposedly "innocuous" files.) It took me 2 or 3 YEARS to figure that one out, but, yes, that was CCleaner doing the damage. In CCleaner, you could simply make Word (Office) an exception and then easily re-test the results; they were easily reproducible. Interesting.

CCleaner can take out your Google cookie settings for your browsing preferences, but again, you can set your preferred exceptions so that your Google cookie follows you everywhere and duly files away your brand of toothpaste. That cookie is merely a nuisance to people, but the old WORD problem was serious grief all over the internet.

Even so, apart from that, I've not had the experiences you guys suggest. I'm happy with your being as cautious as you wish. No problem at all. My suggestion is for those who would like to take their chances. I want speed and I run pretty lean and mean systems that don't have many iffy settings. I do a ton of software testing, and so I am adding and removing programs all the time—that would average, say, 3 to 10 programs per day; occasionally more. And I do like to keep things on the hard edge of strong. If CCleaner DID cause me harm—I repeat that it never has—I would first blame myself, and see what I might have set up or taken apart badly.

Ha ha! —And, very long ago, when we built delicate wooden model airplanes—lovely, intricately detailed, all-by-hand creations, that took forever to put together—we always dropped them on the floor as soon as they were finished. Just to be sure that they could sustain that kind of treatment. Then we'd repair the damage, if any, and we'd try the "drop test" again.

Cheers. CCleaner, please consider a Registry /AUTO, like RegSeeker has. Thank you very much.