Locks up

tblount

I have reviewed and tested software for 30 years and published 50 cd rom titles. I'm running windows 7 and cclean locks up when it hits index.dat ... so it's a useless program for me. All your Internet traces are logged to index.dat files.

To make it worse, you don't have a bug report option. You have to go throught the lenghty registration process and come here to let them know. I would NEVER want bugs posted for the world to consider ... for my software. I rather they just tell me and let me fix it.

I still recommend their defragger.

• Moderators

Are you running the latest version of CC (2.23.999)? I'm not aware of others experiencing this problem.

A self-support forum is what you usually get with a free product, as I'm sure you know. I don't think that any widely known product, whether it had a bug reporting system or not, would escape problems being aired in the open. Windows has a built-in fault reporting system and the internet is full of real or imagined bugs. An open forum has the great advantage of providing an immediate solution, work round, it's-being-fixed, or live-with-it answer. Well, most times anyway.

I'm running windows 7 and cclean locks up when it hits index.dat

I'm just passing by ... but out of curiosity ...

I'd be interested to know how ccleaner was designed to behave in W7. In XP, index.dat files are locked by the active user so can't be deleted straight away by ccleaner. The file names are added to PendingFileRenameOperations and deleted at restart.

When you say "locks up", do you mean that ccleaner freezes and stops responding?

I would NEVER want bugs posted for the world to consider ... for my software. I rather they just tell me and let me fix it.

Interesting. I'd rather everyone were aware of shortcomings in my software. And I'd rather be aware of known faults in the software that I use. It makes life easier for everyone.