Vista 64-bit: Defraggler says complete but not true

mentorron

I have run Defraggler several times back-to-back, but even though it says completed, there is almost as much still showing in red spread over the drive. Each time I run it, a tiny bit more is concentrated in blue at the top of the defrag window, but not much when it says completed. After 5 runs, it still shows over 40% fragmented. The attached screenshots I took 2 minutes ago, saying 50% complete and now it says Complete, but nothing much has changed.

This is a new Compaq Intel E5200 PC (Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition, 4GB memory, 500GB hd) on which I have installed my programs and have used for a few weeks, mostly Web browsing, reading e-mails, authoring a few home videos.

post-31812-1252941576_thumb.jpg

post-31812-1252942053_thumb.jpg

post-31812-1252941576_thumb.jpg

post-31812-1252942053_thumb.jpg

Files with weird name in C:\System Volume Information\ are Restore Points.

There's one fragmented file in your Recycle bin - emptying it should fix that problem.

I don't know what the others files are :-|

Piriform French translator

This is not the accessible Recycle Bin...note the character in front of the name Recycle. I cannot see this path even when I ask to see hidden files, and CCleaner doesn't find it either even with all filetypes checkmarked.

What I am trying now is to checkmark each file in the list and do them individually. However the ones which begin with an { will not defrag at all.

• 1 month later...

Still the same problem ongoing...can anyone advise if this is this normal ???

After I run Defraggler, and I immediately Analyze again, it says MORE fragmented files have been found. Subsequent runs fill in some of the blanks within the grouping that the previous run left unfilled. But each run leaves much RED (fragmentation) in the middle of the drive, plus some unfilled spaces in the top grouping, and more fragmented files (in this case 31 files totalling 14GB or 11%).

File examples:

Program Files (x86)\Shaw Secure\Common\ 210kb 4 frags

Windows\System 32\Logfiles\Scm\ 15,616kb 3 frags

Windows\System32\WDI\Logfiles\ 1,408kb 2 frags

Windows\System32\spool\ 14kb 2 frags

etc.

If the drive has really been defragged, why are all the newly created files fragmented when written to disk right after defrag complete?

Defraggler only seems to work on the files at the beginning of the partition. If the files in the middle of the partition cannot be defragmented by Defraggler, why bother to show that they are fragmented. Unless, of course, someone can tell me how to defragment them using other means/settings.

Attached are screenshots taken after 2nd consecutive Defrag and immediate Analysis after 2nd Defrag complete.

Compaq Presario CQ5123F - Windows Vista Premium 64-bit - 500GB hard drive.

post-31812-1255979664_thumb.jpg

post-31812-1255979886_thumb.jpg

post-31812-1255979664_thumb.jpg

post-31812-1255979886_thumb.jpg

If you really want to have a completely blue drive, you should delete every System Restore Point, and then create a new one.

But having defragmented Restore points is useless.

Piriform French translator

The $RecycleBin entries were from when I 1st got this PC and had set up a separate Admin user ID plus my own. I realized I didn't need both and removed the one named Administrator, but keeping those priviledges in my usual logon. That's where the $RecycleBin files were: in the removed Administrator login. So I recreated that Admin ID, deleted the files in it's RecycleBin and removed the Admin user again. The files were then not listed in Defrag. I didn't know Defrag listed every user's files.

• 2 weeks later...
Those are System Restore Points. You cannor defrag them. And even if you could it would be useless.

So why doesn't defraggler have a note that it will not defrag this? :angry: It would save a lot of heartache. It tells me I am 14% fragmented so that would suggest that i need to continue to defragment my drive, but there is only one file fragmented. But 5 minutes later there are 9 files (antivirus program updated).