Compact Static and Non-Static Data

cosmotopper

(IMHO) Here are the crucial features defraggler is missing (I think):

1. We should be able to not only defragment, but compact data files at arbitrary boundaries (meaning, group them all in one place). The default would be to compact all movable data at the bottom of the disk, leaving as much free space as possible, as one would need to do in order to resize the partition from larger to smaller.

2. Ideally, given the ability to compact files, we would like to be able to divide the total disk space into two zones, a static zone at the base, with all other folders and files compacted either at the end of the disk, or at some arbitrary offset from the top of the static zone. It should also be possible to designate a pair of files as the bookends for each zone (one at the beginning, and the other at the end).

The rationale here is that this schema would enable the creation of a tripwire process at the driver level, which would detect any attempt to write into the base zone. If, for example, all of the static operating system files (files which should never change), and optionally newly installed application files (which should not normally change either) were situated in this monitored base zone, it would be quite easy to detect attempts by malicious programs to infect files which should not be changed, by monitoring write operations below a certain offset. It would also enable defraggler to optimize subsequent operations simply by verifying that files in a given zone were still in the proper place, given a list of the original static files.

Of course this feature would have to work around the inherent defects in the NTFS file system, but it would provide a powerful tool for managing the disk and detecting malicious activity. (It would also be nice if Piriform could write the monitoring program as well.) I realize this bleeds over into the 'anti-virus' application area. However, I consider most anti-virus software to be a virus in and of itself, because it intrudes on the operation of the system and often interferes with legitimate applications. Therefore a very simple monitoring program which would detect any attempt to compromise the core operating system files, used in concert with something like Windows Defender, would eliminate the need for these overly complex and intrusive virus-detection systems, at least for some users.

As far as I know, the sources for your programs are not publicly available, but I'd be willing to work on these extensions under an NDA, pro-bono if you have an interest, but not the resources to prioritize this yourselves.

Piriform is doing a very good job of maintaining it's focus on reliability and providing a simple, consistent GUI. Your products are simply outstanding, thank you! (I'm pretty sure I made a donation quite some time ago probably under CCleaner, but if not, please write back and let me know.)