System Restore Information

RMBsuki

Actually, CCleaner does not remove the restore point itself, but only the references to it.

The backup files of the restore point itself are not removed by CCleaner. Of course, there is no simple way to use those files if the references are gone, but the volume space is not really recovered.

To recover that space, use the windows disk cleanup utility (or disable system restore). You should know that windows itself deletes old restore points according to several conditions.

By this, I'm just offering options, not recommending one over the other. I myself have system restore "on" and I let windows to manage it.

Actually, CCleaner does not remove the restore point itself, but only the references to it. ....... To recover that space, use the windows disk cleanup utility (or disable system restore).

I don't use restore points so I've never looked into it that closely but ..................

For that to be true (and I'm not claiming it isn't) Windows must have some other reference to the restore point in order for it to be able to free up the filestore with its own cleanup. And it also sounds misleading to the ccleaner user.

Why doesn't ccleaner remove the actual restore point then? It doesn't make sense to remove the reference and leave the filestore intact. It feels like ccleaner is leaving the system in an inconsistent state. Or am I missing something (for example can you do the same thing in Windows itself)?

@marmite, Windows Cleanup knows about the last restore point (you can't delete it using CCleaner). It simply deletes the old ones. It does not really need the references to delete the actual files, since they are in the System Volume Information folder.

You can search this forum for the actual procedure. Before cleaning the restore points with windows cleanup, take a note of the free space. Then clean and again take a look at the free space. Cleaning old restore points will free several 100's MB. Just be sure everithing is ok in your system and that your are not going to need those old restore points. (your own risk)

If you first "clean" old restore points using ccleaner, you would expect not to free several 100's MB after using windows cleanup just 2 minutes after that. But windows cleanup does.

You are right about sth: deleting references to restore points and leaving the files does not make much sense. But according to http://docs.piriform.com this is what ccleaner does.

As I said before, if you are not really needing the space right now, let windows manage those restore points by itself. Windows will delete the old ones when getting to some % of total volume space.

Search this forum for more info, and you are welcome to come back to ask if you still have questions about it.

Thanks ady; but as I said originally, I don't use restore points - I was questioning how ccleaner handles their "deletion". I've just looked at the ccleaner user guide, and the actual words are "CCleaner removes references to the System Restore points, but may not actually remove all files related to each point". I would speculate that it may depend upon whether it has access (rights) to delete the file(s) at the time.

Regardless of where these restore points are, internally Windows must still hold some reference to the space allocated to individual restore points in order to release that disc space.