Office 2003 not cleaning properly

Glenn

This bug doesn't particularly bother me except for the reason behind it ...

Running Office 2003 on Windows XP SP3, both fully patched and CCleaner 2.23.999 (also tested v. 2.21.940).

CCleaner will not clean several registry keys that is's supposed to.

I used a winapp2.ini and it will clear the reg keys, but only if some lines from the Embedded INI file downloaded from the forum are revised:

RegKey7=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Internet|UseRWHlinkNavigation

My revision: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Internet\UseRWHlinkNavigation

RegKey19=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Contact|QuickFindMRU

My revision: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Contact\QuickFindMRU

RegKey20=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Contact|StripSearchMRU

My revision: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Contact\StripSearchMRU

Now the two things that bothers me ...

1. One line didn't require revision: RegKey10=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data|Settings

Is the failure of one of the preceding lines somehow affecting it.

2. I'm sure these used to work a month ago. Is it possible that a recent Office patch revised the reg key structure?

e.g., HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Internet|UseRWHlinkNavigation

became HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Internet\UseRWHlinkNavigation|UseRWHlinkNavigation

I believe the | symbol signifies that what follows is a registry value (String, DWORD, etc.).

It would work (and I'm pretty sure it used to) if the path was: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Internet|UseRWHlinkNavigation

where "UseRWHlinkNavigation" was the string value.

But the path is actually: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Internet\UseRWHlinkNavigation|UseRWHlinkNavigation

where the first "UseRWHlinkNavigation" is the subkey and the second is the string value (there is also a DWORD value named "UseOnlineContent" in the subkey).

I suspect that a recent Microsoft update created an additional layer in the registry structure. I use a winapp1.ini with customized cleaning of Office 2003 so it's not a problem. I only noticed it while checking something else but if there are other reports of Office not being cleaned, this is probably the reason.

EDIT: After further experimentation, more weirdness ... having deleted the "UseRWHlinkNavigation" subkey several times, the string values now form directly under the "Internet" key and the old command line with | instead of \ works. Despite being deleted just as many times, the "QuickFindMRU" and "StripSearchMRU" subkey levels are still being created and the old command line still will not work. Just a glitch in my software? ... or did Microsoft's patches on Tuesday change something again?