hosts file didn't work in OPERA 10 ?

abu aufa

Wow, this is just AWFUL. I've been using hosts files to block internet ads for years, and now suddenly that's all out the window. If I can't block ads with a hosts file, I'm done with Opera.

EDIT: FYI I started a thread in the official Opera forums

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

I will update when I get a response on the Opera forum.

Until then, I am investigating Fanboy's AdBlock List which is easy to install and seems to accomplish the same thing as a Windows hosts file (or similar). This was suggested by agua in a different thread and looks interesting.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

I just tried it, and yes it sure does! Very impressed so far.

As far as the hosts file issue, I just remembered that Opera ignoring the hosts file has been occurring ever since 10 Alpha...it is not something specific with the recent 10 final release. I posted on the official Opera forums way back then too, and the issue was completely ignored. Because of that, it is unlikely the issue will be taken seriously, so it looks like Fanboy's AdBlock List will be the way to go for Opera users for the foreseeable future.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

Well, it appears so though we were mistaken. Both abu aufa and I were suddenly able to visit sites that used to be blocked, which led us to believe the blocked domains of the Windows hosts file were not being recognized by Opera 10. As you can see by my thread on the Opera forums, the hosts file is actually still working. It turns out that the reason we're able to visit those sites, is the hosts files have been updated and those domains are no longer being blocked.

For example, in all the many years I've been using hpHosts and MVPS, www.myspace.com has ALWAYS been blocked. So when I was suddenly able to visit that site, I assumed it was a fault in Opera. As it turns out, my hosts file is simply not blocking MySpace anymore.

This is actually a really good thing, as we can continue using the hosts file to block bad sites and ads in Opera! I really like Fanboy's AdBlock list, so I'll probably continue using that in conjunction with the hosts file to add another layer of protection.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png