Windows Explorer refresh delay after ccleaner has run

marmite

Hi All

I have a problem when I open Windows Explorer after a ccleaner run. If I have ccleaner set to clean "Other Explorer MRUs", then the first time that Explorer is opened there is a delay (around 20s) expanding the folder tree. It's almost as though Windows is having to rebuild or rediscover something - but I can't imagine that it should need to do that.

Has anyone else encountered this or can explain why it's happening?

I'm running ccleaner 2.23.993 on XP Pro SP3.

Thanks

Has anyone else encountered this or can explain why it's happening?

Okay, well I've done some digging around.

It seems as though setting "Other Explorer MRUs" in ccleaner deletes this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComputerDescriptions

And it's this that is causing the undesired behaviour I'm seeing in Explorer after I run ccleaner. If I manually delete this key, and then open Explorer, I see exactly the same behaviour. The only value in this key on my machine is the name of another computer on which I have a permanently mapped network share.

This registry key is recreated when Explorer is reopened. I assume it's this that causes the delay (possibly due to the remote machine being unavailable on the network; either way it's not a good user experience).

In my view I wouldn't say that this is falls into the MRU category; any more than the name of the network share itself would be (and this doesn't get deleted of course).

Is it really appropriate that this key is deleted? If there are values under this key that should be deleted, then I believe that to avoid this issue computer names that reference permanent shares shouldn't be deleted.

I'd be interested to hear Piriform's view on this.

Thanks

PS It's a small niggle in a great product though.

• Moderators

Hi marmite, and a belated welcome to Piriform.

As far as I'm aware, we haven't had this particular issue appear before, and I'm wondering if your particular setup is unique.

Anyway, that aside, you can add that registry key to CCleaners "Exclude" feature, "CCleaner\Options\Exclude\Add Registry".

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/using-cc...egistry-entries

Once set up, that key wouldn't be touched, which would solve your problem.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: A niggle is a niggle, big or small. :)

Hi marmite, and a belated welcome to Piriform.

Thanks Dennis

As a developer of oooooh too many years, I know that it can be frustrating when someone points the finger at "your" software without really being sure of the facts. That's why in my initial post I just asked if anyone had seen it before; thinking that it could well be an environment issue.

However when there was no glimmer of recognition I had more of a dig around and I'm confident about the circumstances under which this happens.

Whether that is a bug in ccleaner is still moot. But I do feel that I've provided enough evidence to suggest that in may be exhibiting "undesirable behaviour" :) It should be easy enough to verify I guess; but again I think I've done my bit in identifying the specific registry key that ccleaner deletes to cause this behaviour ;) (using SysInternals' Process Monitor). I don't know whether, for example, you could achieve the correct "cleaning" effect by deleting specific values under this key. But as I said before I don't believe that deleting that particular computer name value is appropriate "cleaning" behaviour. As far as I can tell the only reason that it exists is because of the presence of the mapped drive. The fact that you've elected to "reconnect at logon" (to the mapped share) to me implies something less transient than an MRU value.

But thank you for the tip about the reg key exclusion; that's something I hadn't discovered. A couple of the reasons that I really like the product are its configurability and its flexibility in supplying custom actions (or inactions in this case!). So yes; that would certainly allow me to keep the ccleaner setting whilst still getting around this issue for now.

• Moderators

I'm pleased you at least have a solution until the devs get around to hopefully including a fix.

They do read all these posts, and we appreciate the information you've taken the time and trouble to pass on, even though you didn't initially get a reply.

:)