Windows Security Update unable to update

Fluffy

My Windows update was going through its usual updating process when I received an error message saying this security update could not be updated

"Security Update for Microsoft Office XP Web Components (KB947320)"

Should I be worried,has anyone else had this? what do i do now !

Any help or comments appreciated !! :blink:

Thats about 8 times now i`ve tried it,I have the little yellow shield,telling me I have updates then express installation,then it says "failed"

26 failures ! error code 0x80070663, it says its downloaded,but hasn`t finalised !tried microsoft website,(phew what a nightmare) I need Piriform sanity!

Hi Acooldozen

Thanks for the link,I did try the download from there,the problem still seems to exist ! my computer has download it,but it hasn`t installed,i do`nt know wether I would be able to delete it (if I could find the thing!) and then try again,the ref for the download is Kb947320...

Fluff

• 2 weeks later...

Try cleaning out the windows update download folder. Delete everything in this folder: "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download"

If you had originally downloaded it the first time and it came up with the error, it may have been because of a bad download (Corruption) and every other time you try to install it, the update service will try to install the already downloaded one which might be corrupt.

Try it anyways, whenever I get a Windows Update error this always works.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86Ghz | 3GB RAM | BFG NVIDIA 8600 GT OC w/ ThermoIntelligence | Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM HDD | Samsung SyncMaster 953BW Display | Logitech MX Revolution Mouse | Microsoft Digital Media 3000 Keyboard

ChrOn1

Thanks for the reply,i have just tried it (a couple of times) and its still failed ! it seems this one update KB947320 does not want to be installed,I have had another update for defender installed no problems so i know i can receive them.

It does seem to install it them fails to initialise....

appreciate the idea !!

Fluff

Andavari

Just looked at the dial a fix,

It looks a little bit over my head to install and not know what i`m doing !!! :unsure: !!!!

Fluff

The error code is 0x80070663 Ive looked on microsoft web help but its a nightmare, there are lots of questions about the error code but not how to solve the problem !!

• Moderators
Just looked at the dial a fix,

It looks a little bit over my head to install and not know what i`m doing !!! :unsure: !!!!

Just make sure you only use it on a Windows XP machine. Other than that there's nothing it can actually break, and is super useful.

Fluffy, I found two articles that might fix your problem:

First try this one:

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Window...5/msg00709.html

If that fails, try this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913754

Both suggestions require registry editing, so be very careful.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86Ghz | 3GB RAM | BFG NVIDIA 8600 GT OC w/ ThermoIntelligence | Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM HDD | Samsung SyncMaster 953BW Display | Logitech MX Revolution Mouse | Microsoft Digital Media 3000 Keyboard

Hi Guys

have been trying to sort this out,not successful to date but wanted to post something to let you know I appreciate your replies,will not be at the computer for the next few days and it looked like I was being rude in not replying !

will post again soon..thankyou ;)

• Moderators
have been trying to sort this out,not successful to date

Since it still won't install look on Microsoft's site to see if there is a manually downloadable setup version, I doubt that there would be anymore but worth a look.

Yeah try installing the update by downloading the full file version.

Here's the link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a while but i`ve tried everything and i`m still having failure in this update,

I seem to be in a loop between error codes 0x80246007 and 0x80070663 i get the first one fixed then back to the other

I appreciate Chr0nic and Andavari `s help I,ve tried what you have suggested to the best of my ability but old bill gates doesn`t seem to want to let me have this update !

I have emailed microsoft and they just email you back to say have a look at the web page you just got the email address off !

There was an option to ring a number but i`m dubious as to what my telephone bill will be at the end of it ! :(

I`m at about the stage of sod it i`ll have to live without it...but then...i`m not one for giving up....... <_<

Hope this helps Fluffy. It's the download link on Microsoft for the exact update that's giving you trouble.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Try manually downloading that and installing it and see if that helps. ;)

I've been looking around on Google about that error code that you got from the update error. Here are some of the results which I think might be helpful to you if the above link doesn't solve your problem.

1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913754

2. http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Window...5/msg00709.html

3. There are a lot of people having your problem. Just Google up something like "Error Code 0x80070663".

EDIT: Just saw that Chr0n1c posted most of the solutions I just posted too lol!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys..well its been a while but i`m giving up with this update !

Have managed to get another update since and no probs it just seems its this one .

Many thanks to all you guys who responded to my thread I do appreciate the time and help I get from the forum ;)

Fluff

Mod put this baby to bed !