How to remove language files

BlazingPig

I have very little space on my computer, and therefore I wish to remove the language files on CCleaner that I never use - every language except English and French. When I go to (Windows XP) My Computer > Program Files > CCleaner > Lang, I see lang files identified with numbers.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Once CC is installed the chosen language is embedded in the exe, so the entire contents of the lang folder can be deleted (I get CC to do this). I'm not sure about a second language. You can't just switch from one to another without a reinstall, can you? Do you just want the id's of the Eng and French modules so you can do that? Unfortunately my lang folders are empty.

There may be better ways of doing this. Install both the English and French portable versions on a flash drive for instance, and save 1.75 mb compared with the measly few k that the lang files take up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info.

I too try to delete the unused language files from apps .

I would like to suggest to Piriform to either:

[a] publish and inlclude a list of what numbered file corresponds to what language, so that folks could remove the unused ones or ,

use standard ISO abbreviations for country coding so that we have a chance of identifying.

And if it is true that only the language chosen during install is installed to the interface, then what purpose is served by having all language files written to that directory?

Thank you.

The Universe is intelligent and friendly 8-)

@Augeas and @TechHarmony

English is the language in the exe. For other languages, you don't need to reinstall if you have the "lang" folder. Just use the settings panel in ccleaner to change the language, as described in Piriform docs:

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/ccleaner...e-ccleaner-uses

For a list of which number is used for dll filenames in the "lang" folder, just see the windows local ID decimal codes ( LCID:dec )

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0h88fahh(VS.85).aspx

In that list, you can see for example that "French - France" corresponds to decimal locale ID 1036, as Aethec said. Use that list to know which dll in the "lang" folder corresponds to which language.

Important Note: if you want to manually delete unused lang dll's, check first that ccleaner is not running (not even minimized and not at the system tray).

THanks for the info.

And I did a bit of experimenting and saw that one could use the Options/Settings/Language to select a different language after time of installation. So that explains to me why they are all installed.

I should probably have looked a bit more ...

Ahh, OK, thank you for pointing out the numbers come from a microsoft list...

Having worked for many big organizations, some of which developed their own internal lists, and then working in international data exchange I have come to the opinion (yes, I admit it is just my opinion), that in the long run, an ISO type of standardized coding will generally be more widely embraced.

But totally understandable that a windows app would use the MS lists...

Thanks for the info update. Cheers.

The Universe is intelligent and friendly 8-)