ccleaner leaves 2 folders in firefox history

mikeb

I just noticed that I have 2 folders leftover in Firefox's History after running CCleaner. I can't even delete them manually. :angry: I'm using FF 3.5.2 and the latest CCleaner.

Also I don't know why but I can't get CCleaner to clear Start menu programs. If it matters I've just recently upgraded to Win XP Pro SP3.

Thanks

Hi mike.

Can you be more specific about the two folders you mention?

And have you tried checking the "User Assist History" box in CCleaner\Windows\Advanced?

If you open up Firefox history (ctrl + H) and view "by site", I have 2 folders from sites that I've visited a few times. In other words, the folders don't show if you view by any option other than "by site."

Hmm, I had FF set for "never remember history." I changed it "Custom settings for history." I don't know if that will help. Question: should FF clear history of should CCleaner?

Thank you for mentioning User Assist. It worked. :P

• Moderators

Changing to custom settings may have done it.

Have you checked the "Settings" button near the "Clear History When Firefox Closes" entry? There are 6 different settings in there. One of which may or may not be the cause of the problem.

And regarding the "should CCleaner or Firefox" question, the answer is probably CCleaner, but believe me over the last few months the browser developers have been moving the goalposts with regard to the storing of history and cookies, and CCleaner I think has been playing catchup.

If you can achieve your aim within the Firefox settings, then the important thing is that your history is being cleared.

Hope that helps.

FYI, Mine is doing the same thing...If you delete the history in FF "before" you run CC, then the history will delete. If you run CC first, it will delete the history associated with the site that you visited but will not delete the folder/domain name that you visited, and you can't even do a manual delete in FF.

I tried changing settings in FF to never remember history, and still no luck.

• Moderators

Hi James.

Is this a Firefox settings issue? This is my setup in Firefox 3.5.2, and I can't reproduce the problem you have.

I never have a trace of history remaining after closing Firefox.

fabcc38f0843.jpg

I'm fresh out of suggestions, and as Opera is my main browser, I can't try it over an extended period. If anyone else has any ideas, feel free.

One final thing I can say, is that Firefox really needs to be closed before you run CCleaner, so in theory, if Firefox is set up in the right way, there shouldn't be any history left to clean after closing it down.

Hope that helps.

Dennis,

I think that I have it worked out...sorta. I am using the add-on "all in one sidebar" and was viewing the history there. CC does indeed clear the history in FF, but wont clear the history in the sidebar. I don't know if this is a FF problem CC problem, or sidebar problem. I upgraded CC the same day that I upgraded FF and it was all working fine before that, when CC deleted FF history i could no longer see it in the sidebar. I have a strong suspicion that the problem is with the sidebar, because it wont even let me turn off the history viewer in the sidebar. Gonna try to uninstall the sidebar and reinstall...will let you know...

Hmmm...the add-on is not the problem..Change your settings so that FF will not delete the history. Then open a couple of pages, click history and then make sure that they show up. Close FF and run CC making sure that CC cleans the FF history. Open FF and click on history and the history will be clear...If you click on View, Sidebar, history, I bet you will see what I'm talking about.

• Moderators

This must be a settings issue, and this is how my FF is setup for history:

cbde03d33997.jpg

I went for a quick surf through a number of sites, and here's a list of the recently closed tabs:

ba5d4f80a1c4.jpg

And here's my Sidebar History opened without closing Firefox down first:

9d295707fa5d.jpg

And here's my History from the Menu Bar:

4c9219a2abec.jpg

I have no History record at all.

As I don't usually use Firefox, this is the first time I've delved into it, but it seems my setup fixes the History issue before it starts.

Yes, your setup would prevent the problem from happening. But if you set FF to keep history, I bet that you will see what I am seeing... I have mine set similar to yours now, and it prevents any more from showing up in the sidebar, but I still cant delete the others.. I don't believe this is a settings issue...If you keep your history in FF and then run CC to delete the history, reopen FF and open the sidebar, I bet that you will see it.

You would have to tick "Remember Browsing history" (for at least a day) and untick clear history when close..

• Moderators

I agree, but isn't the issue here that you don't want any History items left behind.

I've never personally had any need to have a "History" list of sites I've just visited, as I always open new web pages or new sites in a new tab, and I sometimes have a lot of tabs opened during a session.

If I want to go back to a previously opened one, it's listed in the "History\Recently Closed Tabs". And that's cleared when I close Firefox.

As I say, I see your point, but I've been striving here to help you not to leave any History items remaining uncleared. Whether that's by using CCleaner or by utilising Firefox's own settings, I wouldn't have thought really mattered.

Dunno if that's what you want exactly, but it is a solution to completely clearing all History traces.

EDIT: All In One Sidebar I assume is an addon, which I don't have, but I could look at it.

Yes, I agree that the idea is to not have any history, but I would like to know how to delete the history that I have. I also wonder why I can delete it in FF but when I run CC it still shows up in the sidebar.

Edit...All In One Sidebar is an add-on...but I uninstalled it and am only viewing the FF sidebar.

The suggestions on that site will all work, unless you have previously used CC to clean history first. It appears that once CC is run to clear history, FF doesn't even know that those Items remain on the sidebar, because right click, delete won't even work. CC cleans the history under the history tab, but not in the sidebar view.

• Moderators

Just giving myself a quick refresher course in Fire 3.5.2.

Unlike older versions of FF, version 3.5.** stores the History and your Bookmarks in the same file, "places.sqlite", which is found in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\8sgu9e5b.default

I dunno if you would have to delete this file to clear any History items you can't remove, and to then replace your bookmarks from:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\8sgu9e5b.default\bookmarkbackups

Apart from all the suggestions above, that's all I can think of to enable you to start with a clean sheet. Mozilla's idea of putting History and Bookmarks in the same file has brought up quite a lot of problems ever since.

In the meantime, CCleaner devs may come up with a solution in a future CCleaner version.

And if I can come up with anything else, I will of course post it.

Thanks for the help, Dennis. I did find one interesting tidbit from the link that you gave me. If you display the sidebar history on anything but "Site" they all disappear. Weird...Well, at least I know how to prevent it from happening and I really don't have anything to hide, so I'm just gonna leave it.

I just cleared it....I changed the sidebar view from "site" to "date", closed FF ran CC, open FF and change back to "site" and they are all cleared. This sounds like a FF bug to me....

Dennis, thanks again for the help, I wouldn't have thought to change the view, if I hadn't read the info at that link.

• Moderators

You could try what I've just tried Mike, and that is with Firefox closed down, move the "places.sqlite" file from the location shown above, to another location (as opposed to deleting it), and then open Firefox again.

The "places.sqlite" file is immediately recreated, with all your bookmarks in place.

The bookmarks are replaced from the "bookmarkbackups" folder, evident by the fact that they are pristine with no site favicons attached to them until used again.

You can check in that folder to make sure the most recent bookmarks backup file is todays, as mine was.

This should (hopefully) remove the History items you're stuck with with no loss of bookmarks. And of course you still have the original "places.sqlite" file to put back if you're not happy with the result.

Afterwards you could maybe adopt the measures above to avoid the same thing happening again.

Nice catch there! That last tip worked. I moved the file just outside the folder and restarted Firefox and they were gone.

I noticed that that new sqlite file size was somewhat smaller. Could that be because of missing favicons?

Mike, are you seeing the history under the "history tab" or view, sidebar, history?

My problem was just seen when I would hit ctrl + h and view by site. I suppose that was view> sidebar> history?

I think I might go back to FF 2.whatever. Things were so much less goofy then. haha

• Moderators
Nice catch there! That last tip worked. I moved the file just outside the folder and restarted Firefox and they were gone.

I noticed that that new sqlite file size was somewhat smaller. Could that be because of missing favicons?

My problem was just seen when I would hit ctrl + h and view by site. I suppose that was view> sidebar> history?

I think I might go back to FF 2.whatever. Things were so much less goofy then. haha

It could well be the favicons, but also the fact that it doesn't contain any history items.

Firefox 3.5.* is a great browser, and I wouldn't go back to an older version. Maybe take measures Mike, to avoid keeping history at all if you don't need it.

Personal choice of course.