CCleaner Community Forums
simon255

Vista Service Pack 1 removal utility (vsp1cln.exe)

I just found this tip online for removing the "junk" from your hard drive after Vista Service Pack 1 was installed. I ran it on my Vista Home Basic laptop, it took 1-2 min and saved another ~0.8gb (after I have run ccleaner many times).

The tip was found at http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/f...unk-files/2641/ and required the running of the file vsp1cln.exe (i.e. Vista SP1 Clean dot exe)

N.B. I don't have Vista SP2 installed on my laptop. When I tried this on my desktop which is running Vista Home Premium with SP2 the file was not present. and I was unable to clean these files.

I just wondered whether Piriform could add this to a future version of CCleaner?

Now, let me have a look to see if there is a similar clean up for SP2.

I don't think it's advisable to have OS specific tools in CCleaner. :)

That utility is probably made by Microsoft. Let it be like that.

Now, let me have a look to see if there is a similar clean up for SP2.

Yes, there is. It's called compcln.exe in SP2.

As for "OS specific clean tools" I have to disagree, CCleaner already has an option to clean hotfix uninstallers on XP, and an option to run vsp1cln/compcln would be its Vista counterpart. There are a lot more people already familiar with CCleaner than those who know how to run some obscure command-line program.

From my understanding, that will make the SP's permanent. I see enough users on this forum get themselves into trouble cleaning the most trival of things.

Removing Hotfix uninstallers is different from executing a tool thats packaged with the SP. Im with Hazel & ishan.

From my understanding, that will make the SP's permanent. I see enough users on this forum get themselves into trouble cleaning the most trival of things.

Removing Hotfix uninstallers is different from executing a tool thats packaged with the SP. Im with Hazel & ishan.

I think removing hotfix uninstallers is the less safe option than vsp1cln /compcln

So, you're removing the hotfix uninstaller directories with ccleaner? so you go to uninstall a hotfix via add/remove and it just errors? Whereas these two utilities possibly clean up after themselves a bit better.