Recuva and CD RW

boblondonky

• Moderators

Hi bob, and welcome to Piriform.

Sorry to say Recuva will not scan a CD or DVD.

It can scan through your hard drives, memory cards, and USB sticks, in other words, most forms of storage except CD\DVD media.

Maybe something like this will help:

http://www.diskinternals.com/cd-dvd-recovery/features.shtml

I have no idea what it's like, but you can apparently try it for free, and I'm sure if any of the other members have any experience of software that can recover from an Optical Drive they'll jump in.

I found a few examples of freeware claiming to be able to recover from CD\DVD media, but the sites were questionable to say the least, so I would be careful in checking sites out if you search yourself.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your input.

Might be a good idea if the creators of Recuva could get it to check CD-Rewritable discs. I know that there have been several times that I would erase one only to find later that I needed something off of it.

I did try

http://www.diskinternals.com/cd-dvd-recovery/features.shtml

Was unable to find anything.

Bob

London, Kentucky

• Moderators

And yet WebOfTrust gives them 4 green rings.

Although it must be significant that just about every site I tried yesterday with freeware programs for recovering from CD\DVD got red warnings from WOT.

This appears to be a neglected area of data recovery being jumped upon by unscrupulous sites.

• Moderators

I toyed with Badcopy from www.jufscoft.com some time ago, and it scanned and extracted deleted data from a CDR like magic. It's small and an easy install. The trial version doesn't let you save the found files, just scan them, but in doing this the files are extracted to a temp file on your hard drive, so you can use Recuva afterwards to recover the files, one at a time. That's sneaky I guess.