Error msg v2.21.940 Tools>Uninstall

Ever since upgrading to v2.21.940 I get the following error message when selecting "Tools". The "startup" menu is fine, but the "uninstall" option gives the error message, and the list of programs to uninstall is blank.

The message is:

An unexpected error has occurred in CCleaner

AtlThrow: hr = 0x80004005

CCleaner v2.21.940

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz

4.0GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

CInstallationEnumAsync::Run

Welcome to Piriform wwje001.

Ever since upgrading to v2.21.940 I get the following error message when selecting "Tools". The "startup" menu is fine, but the "uninstall" option gives the error message, and the list of programs to uninstall is blank.

The message is:

An unexpected error has occurred in CCleaner

Well I've never had a problem using all aspects of CC over the past few years.

I'm not sure if you can run CC in /debug mode as you can with Recuva. I've just tried Run: "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /debug and it runs but it doesn't produce an error log.txt file in the CC folder. Any errors produces by CC or Recuva are put in this file and you can post or copy and paste the file contents here.

Now CC actually uses the Windows Add/remove options. Does your Control Panel - Add/Remove show the items correctly? CC gets the same info from the registry. ;)

P.S. Its nice to see you've added your spec.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform wwje001.

Well I've never had a problem using all aspects of CC over the past few years.

I'm not sure if you can run CC in /debug mode as you can with Recuva. I've just tried Run: "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /debug and it runs but it doesn't produce an error log.txt file in the CC folder. Any errors produces by CC or Recuva are put in this file and you can post or copy and paste the file contents here.

Now CC actually uses the Windows Add/remove options. Does your Control Panel - Add/Remove show the items correctly? CC gets the same info from the registry. ;)

P.S. Its nice to see you've added your spec.

Thanks for the quick reply. The control panel Add/Remove application correctly shows all of my programs. I also am not getting an error log.txt file created. I've attached a copy of the actual error message which includes an option to "report" the error. When I select this, I get is a return message stating "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

post-30195-1248795068_thumb.png

post-30195-1248795068_thumb.png

Well thats the sort of info it writes to the error log.txt on Recuva. Have you tried running CC with the /debug switch?

Have you tried an uninstall and re-install? Where is you download CC from?

No one else has replied to this topic and I'm no Vista expert so sorry we will have to wait a while. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Thanks for the quick reply. The control panel Add/Remove application correctly shows all of my programs. I also am not getting an error log.txt file created. I've attached a copy of the actual error message which includes an option to "report" the error. When I select this, I get is a return message stating "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I'm not getting a log.txt entry in debug mode. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the latest version from FileHippo (after disabling virus and firewall apps) with no success. I'm guessing that this isn't a Vista error, otherwise more users would be having the same issue, so maybe it's an HP bug with my DV7. Thanks for any and all help!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not a Vista user either, but I wonder if this would help at all:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...0x80004005.html

Apologies if it's not relevant to your problem, but I've seen this UAC and permissions issue come up a lot with various Vista problems.

I've had UAC disabled almost since I got my laptop. I finally "downgraded" to v. 2.09.6 and all is well. This is the last version that ran tools>uninstall successfully on my HP DV7 machine. This problem is not happening with my IBM T60 running XP.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a very similar problem. If I click on "Tools" in CCleaner 2.22.968 I receive the following error:

Unexpected Error

An unexpected error has occurred in CCleaner.

ERROR DESCRIPTION:

AtlThrow: hr = 0x80070057

CCleaner v2.22.968

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2

Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz

4.0GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M

CInstallationEnumAsync::Run

If I then click on the "Startup" button within the "Tools" menu I can view that, but if I try to click on "Uninstall" I get the same error again.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit on a Lenovo T61 with 4GB RAM. Processor is Intel Core2 Duo T7500 2.2 GHz. I have UAC disabled in Vista, as well as Defender and Windows Firewall. I have tried uninstall/reinstall in both normal and Safe modes, but problem still exists. This problem didn't exist until I upgraded to this version of CCleaner (I don't remember what version I was running before the upgrade).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks. We'll look into this.

I am having the same problem when I click on tools button in the program. Even Viewer gave me this info about the error.

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 11/2/2009 10:44:46 PM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Salt

Description:

Faulting application name: CCleaner.exe, version: 2.25.0.1025, time stamp: 0x4ae0a231

Faulting module name: >>>>>> KERNELBASE.dll <<<<< , version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdaae

Exception code: 0xe06d7363

Fault offset: 0x00009617

Faulting process id: 0x148

Faulting application start time: 0x01ca5c37f6aa2b73

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 3a13675c-c82b-11de-8bd3-001e3705cebb

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>