Analysis failed/Building list failed

Dokler

Hey guys. I'm running Windows XP and whenever I try to analyze or defrag my system, it always shows up with the messages "Analysis failed" or "Building list failed". Is there any way to fix this? Please help. I haven't been able to defrag my computer for over a month.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys. I'm running Windows XP and whenever I try to analyze or defrag my system, it always shows up with the messages "Analysis failed" or "Building list failed". Is there any way to fix this? Please help. I haven't been able to defrag my computer for over a month.

Hi ! I have the same problem which happend after few times using 'Defraggler" successfully on drive C:/ . I suppose the problem is in boot record (sectors) and/or MFT of the system disk. I'm intended to use "Partition Table Doctor 3.5" from "HyrenCD" v.9.3 to fix this problem eventually. If You want take this as advice, but be carefull with PTD if You have specially formated drives or folders. E.g. hiden backup areas (Acronis Secure Zone in example).

P.S. I have registered myself just half an hour before to give you my opinion, cause obviously NOBODY here know or want to help US. It's pitty , because I'm not IT to be trusted as an administrator of the forum.

And <Dokler> pls do not ask me for help with PTD - there is "GOOGLE" for this....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Sorry for your problems. This is being looked at by the developers, but I have read that this problem may be fixed by running Windows "System File Checker".

You can't do any harm by letting it do a scan, and there is a pretty good description and tutorial at this link:

Scannow SFC:

To drift slightly away from the main point of this thread, it includes some interesting information for when in certain circumstances you are prompted to insert the Windows CD, when you don't actually have one.

In that case, you will probably have an i386 folder in "C:\Windows" which I believe contains the important stuff found on a Windows Installation CD. Or you may have a Recovery Partition which contains all the necessary backup files.

The instructions at the above link explain how to change a registry entry "path" which prompts the "Insert CD" message, to point to the files on your PC instead.

Mine already points to the i386 folder, but if you don't have a Windows CD, this may be worth a little investigation.

If you're not comfortable with running the System File Checker, you can of course wait for the devs to find a solution, or maybe try running a different freeware Defragger to see if the problem repeats itself.

I would suggest maybe:

Auslogics Disk Defrag:

Smart Defrag:

This would enable you to keep your pc running well until this problem is sorted out.

Hope that helps.