why is windows defender rated high?

hello2007

it never catches anything ever since i had it for 6 months while my other protection programs have. it also auto scans everday while my other programs dont and it still doesn't catch anything so why is it that so much people think highly of it? windows firewall doesnt seem to be great either but im cool with it since im not interested of downloading another firewall after a disaster i just had

avast, avira, malwarebytes, ad-aware, superantispyware, windows defender--------paragon, macrium reflect, ubuntu, terabyte

It's actually caught a few things on a number of computers I've helped fix over the last few months, so it can't be that bad. :)

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Its definitely not the best anti-spyware program out there, but not the worst either.

Check out MalwareBytes Anti-Malware if you haven't already.

Also, just because it doesn't find things, doesn't necessarily make it bad, could be due to you being careful with your PC security.

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

~Scratch~

if you purchase malware bytes for 25$ is that a lifetime subscription?

how good is their online protection?

avast, avira, malwarebytes, ad-aware, superantispyware, windows defender--------paragon, macrium reflect, ubuntu, terabyte

there protection is very good but is there online protection the same? because i have ad-aware and im wondering which 1 is better online protection. I think there is a difference with on demand and online. Just because 1 is good on demand doesn't mean its good with real-time as well. Or am i wrong?

Frankly, I would have nothing to do with AdAware. (But then, I was put totally off it after poor experiences with it and their forum some time back.)

Nothing in any reviews/reports/recommendations etc I've read recently makes me want to try it again. There are at least two so much better alternatives. (SAS and MBAM.)

Avast does an above-average job. Why not hang on to Avast, leave Windows Defender running, and perform an occasional demand scan with MBAM, just to verify your security strategy is working?

Alternatives to the Comodo Firewall include the straightforward PCTools firewall, and Online Armour. I use the former. Never a problem. I've read good reports about the latter. The support is supposed to be good, too.

Making sure that scripts are not automatically allowed to run in the browser, especially from across different sites, is also an important protection. (The Noscript add-on for Firefox has, I'm sure, prevented heaps of nasties infesting those users who have it installed.)

im going to stick with windows firewall. I'm scared to install another firewall after the comodo disaster

if you purchase malware bytes for 25$ is that a lifetime subscription?

how good is their online protection?

Yes it is lifetime

Its the best malware protection allround that you can get

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

Nothing wrong with the Vista firewall, from what I've read. Bit complex to configure, apparently, so don't mess with it unless you have a tutorial.

One of the members of the Comodo forum wrote a script to help remove leftovers from a Comodo install. Don't know if it works for all versions. Did you read about it/run it?

I've attached it below, if you are interested. Have a look. To run it, just rename the extension from .txt to .bat, and it should clean any leftover reg entries. Caveat emptor

My own experience is that I had to delve into the registry and reset the permissions for certain keys before I could remove them. Bit more involved than I was used to doing, but it worked.

CFP_reg_clean.txt

CFP_reg_clean.txt

is PCTools firewall any better than windows firewall. I looked it up and it seems fine but then again i heard alot of firewalls cause crashing and slowdowns on your computer

Any two way firewall has the edge over a one way firewall, such as the Windows one.

The Windows firewall will very capably block unwanted stuff coming in. It's good at that. But if something comes in through your browser, that matches what was asked to be bought in, it won't block it, of course.

This would normally be the content of a webpage, a video, picture etc. It could also be a malicious script, or a download for something bad disguised as someting good.

Once the malware is on your machine, (assuming it gets past any other security programs installed, which it might if it's new, or the security program is poor) the outbound control of a two way firewall is your last chance to prevent the malware connecting outbound.

Hope that's clear.

thanks tarq, so i take it you recommend pctools firewall over windows firewall

If you want that safety net, yes.

PCTools is one of the easier firewalls to set up. Good for beginners. It's application-based (like Comodo and Online Armour) rather than rules-based (like, say, Jetico).

Expect a lot of popups as it learns what is allowed to connect (and not.) Anything asking to connect that you are unsure of, "Google" the files name.

Hello, have a look this Results about firewalls and make your own decision. ;)

I wonder if Online Armor in position #1 is exactly the same as Online Armor in position #6. The names and the version #s are identical except for "free" being added to description in position #6.

If they are identical, wonder why the difference in ratings.

Hello, have a look this Results about firewalls and make your own decision. ;)

I can see all products were tested against a suite with 84 tests. I use Kaspersky and I see its highly rated. I'd Recommend it. I've never suffered from networks attacks to the point of crashing. A few shallow ones that are effectively blocked are encountered on a daily basis. Now on Windows Firewall, could I get the link containing the tests it passed to be highly rated. Having it is better than nothing though but free better firewalls are out there like Comodo Internet Security. :angry:

im going to stick with windows firewall. I'm scared to install another firewall after the comodo disaster

I had Comodo also, it was a pain but "do-able". Now using Agnitum outpost free ver. 6.5. It has been updated to 6.51, here. I'm using the old one cause it works OK.

It blocks outgoing packets, I don't think windows fwl does that. Outpost seems pretty good...it for sure blocks outgoing stuff if you tell it to. Has a pretty friendly "learning mode".

Pretty good info here. Tom AZ asked a question about the update here, as yet unanswered. I don't know either, but I bet it was because of an occasional freeze up which occurs when changing the application rules. That still happens on mine, but I'll live with it. <_<

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I wonder if Online Armor in position #1 is exactly the same as Online Armor in position #6. The names and the version #s are identical except for "free" being added to description in position #6.

If they are identical, wonder why the difference in ratings.

Maybe this Comparisons answered your wondering ;)