Anyone used Crucial for buying memory?

DennisD

• Moderators

I'm gonna bite the bullet and install more memory. The Crucial prices are way way below what I would pay at PC World or similar.

I'm wondering if any of you have bought memory from them, and has it proved to be reliable?

Thanks.

They are the only company I ever buy memory from, I have bought it for numerous computers at work as well as for a few at home.

It has always proved reliable.

I also never select the quick delivery option when ordering, but it always turns up next day anyway.

Go for it Dennis, you won't be disappointed.

• Moderators

It crossed my mind that there may be a few newer members on here who have no idea who or what Crucial is.

Briefly, it's an online supplier of memory of all types which has the facility to scan your PC to get the exact specifications of your hardware, and then provide you with a detailed scan report, and suggested configurations of memory that your PC can handle.

I ordered my memory upgrade on Sunday night UK time, and I installed it Tuesday morning. First class service, and a price I couldn't believe after looking round places like PCWorld.

Crucial:

I learned about them on here some time ago.

• Moderators

I've now got 2GB of RAM, which has made a real difference from the 512mb I had.

Decided to remove the 512mb module totally and install a 2GB kit of matching 1GB modules. Quite a difference.

I have a 64bit System. I'm using a 32bit OS now with 4GB RAM. It only recognizes 3.25 GB. If I used a 64bit OS it will recognize 4GB right?

Yes thats correct. I use XP Home but it would not operate with 4GB had to reduce to 3gb but, this has improved performance over the original 2GB.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

Shucks! Just saw this thread. For future reference, NewEgg sells Crucial RAM for much less than you can buy it from Crucial! e.g. 1GB CT12864BA1067 at Crucial $20.99 at NE $14.49, both free shipping. A few years ago Cru wanted $76 for 512 for this Dell and I got it for 40 something at NE. Of course they sell all the other brands too but I prefer Crucial!

I was looking up some memory from Crucial for my old comp, and what I found was very expensive for memory. Link: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...ario%20SR1303WM And that's for only 1 gb stick of memory. For 2? Over 80 bucks! If anyone could find a cheaper version of those memory sticks, it would be great. :)

I was looking up some memory from Crucial for my old comp, and what I found was very expensive for memory. Link: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...ario%20SR1303WM And that's for only 1 gb stick of memory. For 2? Over 80 bucks! If anyone could find a cheaper version of those memory sticks, it would be great. :)

It's DDR. That's why. It's oddly enough gotten more expensive. DDR2 is crazy cheap. DDR3 has slowly been coming down in price.

AJ

Yes thats correct. I use XP Home but it would not operate with 4GB had to reduce to 3gb but, this has improved performance over the original 2GB.

FYI: I have wxp home, 4 gb, works OK, but only recognizes 3.31 gb. Wonder what the difference is, that is ,why yours wouldn't work w/ 4 gb?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

You need a 64bit system!

He should still be able to inset 4GB into the system without it crashing it just shouldn't recognize the full 4GB.

MikeW it maybe worth looking at a firmware update for your motherboard,

just remember with any firmware update you risk rendering the item useless

which may or may no be covered by the manufacturer warrentee.

fireryone

He should still be able to inset 4GB into the system without it crashing it just shouldn't recognize the full 4GB.

MikeW it maybe worth looking at a firmware update for your motherboard,

just remember with any firmware update you risk rendering the item useless

which may or may no be covered by the manufacturer warrentee.

Thanks for the idea, but the mobo does recognise the 4MB the pc will boot normally with the 4 1mb modules but them XP Home will not load. If I then remove any one of the modules XP Home then boots up fine

• Moderators

I upgraded the memory on my old Win98 system so many years ago maybe in the year 2000 or thereabouts using Crucial for about $220, while on the other hand if I had bought it directly from Dell it would've cost at least 50% more money. :blink: That made me realize if buying a new PC again I'd just go with the default installed RAM and upgrade it more cost effectively myself.

Thanks for the idea, but the mobo does recognise the 4MB the pc will boot normally with the 4 1mb modules but them XP Home will not load. If I then remove any one of the modules XP Home then boots up fine

If you have the time, try loading the pc with just one stick then trying another each boot to ensure they aren't faulty.

fireryone

If you have the time, try loading the pc with just one stick then trying another each boot to ensure they aren't faulty.

Thanks, but have already tried that.

I believe from a lot of reading in various tech forums that this is related to the amount of memory in the graphics card mine is 1/2 gb. However, the PC is now happily performing on 3gb although this has resulted in it operating in single channel rather than dual channel

• Moderators

MemTest86+ and/or Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic (enable the extended test in the MS tester) can take any guess work out of the equation. And ideally test one stick at a time with a least one pass.