THE CASE OF FRAGMENTED FILES AFTER DEFRAGMENTING

formfrank84

Defraggler has been really fast on my PC but I have been wondering the case of fragmented files. After successive runs I still have 15% fragmented files. I have noticed this with other de-fragmenting softwares also. I would like to know the Logic behind this. Why is defragmentation in some cases not 100%? :(

What are the fragmented files after you defrag ?

Same problem with me 34% free space on my C: 12 gigs total

when its done defragging its still at 10% fragmented

pagefile.sys and another dat file. I guess you can't defrag the page file

RichDaddy

ok but what about Vista, what could we use?

Try Ultimate Defrag Free Versin...I have used it on my XP Pro and now on my Vista Home Premium. It has lots of choices for you...and good information about using it. Go here to get it:post-29798-1247600421_thumb.jpg Ultimate Defrag

I have inserted an image for you. Click on it. Ultimate Defrag does about everything you could want, including defragging the MFT and Page Files.

I have read some about defragging. An article in PC Magazine said that if you get up to 15 % (to the best of my recollection) then that's about the best you can expect.

Little trick tho'. Before you defrag, if you turn off your System Restore, click Apply and OK...then turn it right back on and create a new restore point, then run your defrag (even with Defraggler) you can get the percentage down to single digits...I have had it as low as 2%. Anything below 10% is pretty good.

If you are confident about your system not crashing on you, you can turn the System Restore off while you are defragging and get the percentage even lower still. But I don't advise this for most people. You probably don't want to do that.

Maybe this will help...I hope so.

RichDaddy B)

RichDaddy

Try Ultimate Defrag Free Versin...I have used it on my XP Pro and now on my Vista Home Premium. It has lots of choices for you...and good information about using it. Go here to get it:post-29798-1247600421_thumb.jpg Ultimate Defrag

I have inserted an image for you. Click on it. Ultimate Defrag does about everything you could want, including defragging the MFT and Page Files.

I have read some about defragging. An article in PC Magazine said that if you get up to 15 % (to the best of my recollection) then that's about the best you can expect.

Little trick tho'. Before you defrag, if you turn off your System Restore, click Apply and OK...then turn it right back on and create a new restore point, then run your defrag (even with Defraggler) you can get the percentage down to single digits...I have had it as low as 2%. Anything below 10% is pretty good.

If you are confident about your system not crashing on you, you can turn the System Restore off while you are defragging and get the percentage even lower still. But I don't advise this for most people. You probably don't want to do that.

Maybe this will help...I hope so.

RichDaddy B)

You gotta be kidding. I came here to complain about my pagefile.sys not defragging.. But if the best people can get is 25%, I need to shut up. I've never been above 1% after a defragment.

Suppose I'm just whiny =P

You gotta be kidding. I came here to complain about my pagefile.sys not defragging.. But if the best people can get is 25%, I need to shut up. I've never been above 1% after a defragment.

I don't know where you got the figure 25 %. Normally, anything under 10% is good. Defragmentation is a controversial topic. There are many different views from very many people who are quite educated in computer technology. The Web is full of information about this. A person can use search engines and find enough information to keep them busy for a long, long time.

If the information I have added to this forum helps anyone, then that is good. On the other hand, if the information I have added is not useful, then it can be ignored.

You have a great day.

"PEOPLE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THINGS"

Someone closer to the top (or maybe it was another thread?) said that the best they get after a defrag is 25%. Never said that was good, just the best they can get.