Best web-based virus scanner

TeeJay3800

I'm wondering what is currently considered to be the best online (web-based) virus scanner. I run Avira AntiVir on my XP machine, but am looking for the best browser-based virus scanner for my Win2000 machine (similar to Trend Micro HouseCall). What do you recommend?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Kaspersky
NOTE: The online virus scanner will not remove the malware from your machine if it finds it - installing our software is required to do this. You can try our antivirus software (full product) for FREE by downloading and installing a free trial, or you can purchase our products in the estore.

Why in the world is it your favorite? It can't remove anything it finds, while other online scanners can...

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

Its definitions are easily the best, it there is malware there it will find it.

We use it in the malware removal community to help us diagnose if infections are present. Also the logs are in a very readable format. Its simple to actually delete the things it finds.

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

~Scratch~

Its definitions are easily the best, it there is malware there it will find it.

We use it in the malware removal community to help us diagnose if infections are present. Also the logs are in a very readable format. Its simple to actually delete the things it finds.

Sounds good; thanks for the explanation. Is it a decently fast scanner? The computer I'll be using it on does not have very powerful hardware (PIII 500, 256MB RAM, Windows 2000...web browsing is speedy, but not much else is :rolleyes: )

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

I remember using BitDefenders' online scanner many years ago. It took about 4 or 5 hours. As it listed files it was looking through I saw emails that were long gone and several years old by then. All sorts of junk.

Obviously I'd like to avoid that kind of thing. Im most concerned with speed here. A "full scan" on MBAM takes 45 minutes, so something around there would be nice.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
Im most concerned with speed here.

ESET Online Scanner is rather fast, as a comparison on my system:

MBAM = Average 23 minutes for a full system scan

Avast = Average 23 minutes for a full system scan using the scan method Standard.

ESET Online Scanner = 45 minutes for a full system scan, with the settings tweaked to scan everything.

I just did a scan with ESET Online Scanner, and was very impressed. It only took 43 minutes to do a full system scan, and (not surprisingly) didn't find any viruses. It installs as a small app that can be run outside of Internet Explorer, which is nice, but that makes it a little different than other online scanners which usually run as an ActiveX control. I'd fully recommend this to anyone looking for an on-demand scanner.

As for the Kaspersky recommendation, I have no doubt it may do a more thorough scan, but I've never had a virus before, and have no desire to let my computer take overnight for a full scan. It's probably the best for finding absolutely everything among online scanners.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
Sounds good! One last thing: does ESET also fix (delete/remove/whatever) the viruses it finds?

I think you already know the answer since you already tried it, however to clue in anyone else interested - yes it can remove threats.