Wipe Free Space completes but never finishes

For no apparent reason, CC quit wiping my freespace - I can let it run for as long as 3 days and it will show 100%l gb's wiped but will not finish. I must cancel which leaves the wipe unfinished. I uninstalled CC, then installed a fresh copy of the latest release but the same thing happens again & again. What has changed in the last 2 or 3 releases of CC that will no longer wipe frww space? Nothing else but updates to AV & Malware protection have changed on my system :(:blink: Wipe Free Space no longer works

• Moderators

Hi HP2Guy, and welcome to Piriform.

It's probable that if your first run with Wipe Free Space didn't finish, then you'll have some very large files in the root directory (C:), which are created by CCleaner in it's overwriting process, and then deleted upon completion.

If CCleaner didn't complete, then those large "temp" files will still be in place, and there won't be any free space for CCleaner to have another run at.

Check for those files, which will probably have odd names, and if there, delete them using "Shift\Delete" as they could be too big for your Recycle Bin, and you won't be wanting to keep them anyway.

Post back if you still have problems, but bear in mind that this wipe process can take a long time, depending upon the size of the drive in question, and how much free space it has.

Hope that helps.

Hi Dennis,

There are no large strangely named files in my C:\ root directory - I try to keep this puppy as clean as I can. I have successfully used "wipe free space" in the past - just in the last several weeks has CC refused to complete. I've got 366gb and am only using 24gb. I realize that it tkes some serious time to sweep that much free space, but I'm not joking - I've let it run uninterrupted for 72+ hours on 3 separate occaisons with the last 3 releases of CC. As I said, it will report 100% swept on the gb count, but the green status bar at the top stays stuck at 97% and never advances beyond that. Because the hour glass is running within the program, the only option I have is to cancel which then doesn't complete te wipe leaving me right where I was 73 hours earlier. That's why I've tried updating the release to no avail, then uninstalling the release & downloading new - STILL to no avail. Were there any major changes in the last 3 releases that would cause this syndrome after nearly 3 years of successful use of CC ?

Thanks,

Bruce

Hi HP2Guy, and welcome to Piriform.

It's probable that if your first run with Wipe Free Space didn't finish, then you'll have some very large files in the root directory (C:), which are created by CCleaner in it's overwriting process, and then deleted upon completion.

If CCleaner didn't complete, then those large "temp" files will still be in place, and there won't be any free space for CCleaner to have another run at.

Check for those files, which will probably have odd names, and if there, delete them using "Shift\Delete" as they could be too big for your Recycle Bin, and you won't be wanting to keep them anyway.

Post back if you still have problems, but bear in mind that this wipe process can take a long time, depending upon the size of the drive in question, and how much free space it has.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

Hi Bruce.

I don't have a straight out definitive answer for you, but maybe try going back to the version that worked OK for you, and if it runs fine as it did before, that will at least confirm that it's a CCleaner issue and not your PC.

You can get all versions here:

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

I'm still puzzled though that there aren't any large files left after CCleaner didn't finish it's run. I've only used Wipe Free Space once myself, and it ran and completed OK, so I don't know exactly what those left over files will look like.

I'll see if I can get some info on that, but have a go with the older version first, and see what happens.

EDIT: Just an afterthought Bruce. If you don't already, I would run Wipe Free Space on it's own, and with one drive checked if you have more than one.

Hi Bruce.

I don't have a straight out definitive answer for you, but maybe try going back to the version that worked OK for you, and if it runs fine as it did before, that will at least confirm that it's a CCleaner issue and not your PC.

I'm still puzzled though that there aren't any large files left after CCleaner didn't finish it's run. I've only used Wipe Free Space once myself, and it ran and completed OK, so I don't know exactly what those left over files will look like.

I'll see if I can get some info on that, but have a go with the older version first, and see what happens.

EDIT: Just an afterthought Bruce. If you don't already, I would run Wipe Free Space on it's own, and with one drive checked if you have more than one.

I have just started using ccleaner and it will not clean my freespace either, same as you describe. Windows xp pro sp3. I have deleted and cleaned up my computer. but need to clean free space so that it will run faster. Can any one help??

Hi Bruce.

I did your last sugjestion before reading this and it did not help. What next?? :unsure:

:huh:

I have just started using ccleaner and it will not clean my freespace either, same as you describe. Windows xp pro sp3. I have deleted and cleaned up my computer. but need to clean free space so that it will run faster. Can any one help??

I have tryed to download an older version but web page hippo will not work. Next??

• Moderators
I have deleted and cleaned up my computer. but need to clean free space so that it will run faster.

Wipe free space just writes zeroes on top of whatever is in the unused space on your drive. It's a security option, and will not make anything run faster, or slower for that matter.

If I were in your position (and to be honest I can't be bothered to run wipe free space) I would leave this option until it becomes more stable a few releases down the line (no disrespect, Piriform).

If you want a go-faster tweak then a defrag might pay more dividends. I don't use Defraggler so I can't advise on that, but I'm sure plenty can. Or use the Windows offerring.

Filehippo seems to be working OK now, but note Augeas' comment above about what Wipe Free Space does.

How do I (Copy the following code to link to this page:) or where do I put this?? :blink: <ahref="http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/5426/">Download CCleaner from FileHippo.com</a>

I am not as proficient at this as you all are , but I can do this with patienced help. Thank you

• Moderators

Hi Delphnia.

I'm not sure I know which code you mean exactly. Do you mean how to insert the link to Filehippo, or do you mean the link to this page on the forum? I'll try and cover them all.

For the forum page just right click your mouse in the address bar, it turns blue, and select "copy" in the drop down menu.

Then place your cursor where you want to insert the link in a post or a pm, and right click again and select "paste".

You can get the link for individual posts by left clicking the post number in the top right corner of each post, and then right click in the small window and select "copy" again. And then do the paste.

For web pages it's the same. Right click the address bar and select copy etc..

Hope that helps, but if it isn't exactly what you want, just post back.