start up

Devonia68

:( Hi all

Can any1 tell me how to use the facility in CCleaner tools to stop certain programmes from starting automatically when my pc starts up. I dont want to uninstall them but i have a certain programme that i have unchecked box for auto start up but it still starts up anyway. Its another programme like this that i only want to use once or twice a week not everytime my pc reboots.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Devonia68

if CCleaner does not work u can use msconfig and look for it in the last tab. btw if it is a program such as itunes it will automattically put itself back into the startup list after a couple of uses

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

:( Hi all

Can any1 tell me how to use the facility in CCleaner tools to stop certain programmes from starting automatically when my pc starts up.  I dont want to uninstall them but i have a certain programme that i have unchecked box for auto start up but it still starts up anyway.  Its another programme like this that i only want to use once or twice a week not everytime my pc reboots.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Devonia68

Hi Devonia and welcome to CCleaner,

as for using it to disable certain programs at Startup, I've never used it for that before, but here is another possible solution to your question:

START -> RUN -> msconfig -> ENTER

this will bring up the System Configuration Utility window (see screen shot). Select the Statup tab, then just pick which programs you want to startup and which you don't. This is a simple way to do this without messing around with any of the individual programs. After you're done, it will likely ask you to restart; do so. When you log back in, a notification box will appear telling you that you've altered the way windows starts. I think you should pick the option that says you accept the change, or you know about it, or something like that, then it will startup that way from then on. To change any of these settings in the future, just follow the same steps and pick the programs again.

ALL THIS IS BASED ON WINDOWS XP, I THINK IT WORKS ON 2000 AS WELL BUT I'M NOT ENTIRLY CERTAIN. post back what OS you're running, or if its XP then just give it a try.

post-1783-1125060683_thumb.jpg

post-1783-1125060683_thumb.jpg

if CCleaner does not work u can use msconfig and look for it in the last tab. btw if it is a program such as itunes it will automattically put itself back into the startup list after a couple of uses

oli,

I've disabled itunes using msconfig and i've never had any problems with it restarting on its own? Also with itunes 4.9 anyway, i beleive there is a built in option like msn messenger that allows you to set your prefrences at startup.

:D Hi guys

Thanks for all your suggestions, the new version of CCleaner allows you to uninstall programmes and disable start up programmes too, i just didnt want to chance screwing it up. Have followed your instructions for xp msconfig and it seems to work fine

Disabled some other stuff i dont use very often as well and just start it from the programmes list or desktop icons instead.

Cheers again

Dev :)