Dual Startup Options

Ptath

My girlfriend has a PC that was apparantly loaded with a pirated version of Windows XP Home Edition since it would not accept any of the newer security updates, etc. and could not be validated. I know where she got the OS from but, I wanted to make her legitimate without compromising or removing any of the other programs and data she had on the machine. Therefore, I purchased a licensed Windows XP Home Edition and loaded it onto her harddrive without reformatting it.

Everything now works just fine, and can be updated correctly.

I just have ONE problem ... and can't figure out how to fix it <_<

When I boot her machine up, it goes through the usual DOS yada yada but then pauses at a notification screen before proceeding to load Windows. My problem is that the DOS notification screen has the option of proceeding with one of two operating systems, and has a 30-second delay before self-loading the first option ... or I can hit <Enter> to proceed. The first option is the new legitimate Windows XP Home Edition OS [that works] and the second option is the old pirated Windows XP Home Edition OS [that does not work].

How can I remove the second option from this start-up screen so that the computer just goes straight from the usual DOS yada yada to loading Windows?

Even better ... can I also hide the usual DOS yada yada from showing and scrolling on the screen?

Do the following:

Right click My Computer

Properties

Advanced

Startup And Recovery

Settings

System Startup

Edit

Just remove the path to the old Windows.

Another thing you could have done was check MSKB for a way to change the license key, which is amazingly easy to do. You change a value in the registry, run MS' OOBE and do the telephone activation, within there you change the key.

here it worked so far with 10 people after M$ enforced its validation process. each one bought a legit copy we adviced them to change the pirated key using jellybean with the new legit key. every thing went ok and all the 10 passed M$ validation process without a problem.