avgcsrvx.exe slows down computer

beatlebryce

I have Avg anti-virus installed and sometimes when i open a folder, say My Documents, it will briefly hog the cpu, thus causing a minor stall for about 2-5 seconds. I think it's doing a small scan of the newly accessed files, but i'm not sure. I don't remember it doing this, but after i reinstalled everything after formatting my system partition, it does. is there any way to disable it? i have other antivirus/spyware programs, including another resident program, so i'm not too worried about security, especially when i'm opening files that are in my own folders.

including another resident program

It's not recommended to have two or more AV programs running on memory at the same time.

Why? AV programs have a lot of ways of protecting you, that's why they take so much memory.

If you have two AVs running at the same time (with resident protection) your memory will fill up,

slowing down the computer.

It's cool to have two AVs on your computer, but only one of them should be running resident protection.

You can use the other one as a backup AV in case you want to make sure there is no malware around.

For example, I use Avira as my primary AV, and SuperAntiSpyware as a backup AV, since it has no resident protection.

Ok then, i'll only use one. I figured i had enough memory since I have the XP max (3gb?) on 2x2gb sticks. But that makes sense only having one active. Which should I use though? I have SUPER Antispyware pro and AVG antivirus, which would be better to leave as active?