Auslogics Disk Defrag

TeeJay3800

Has anyone tried the new release of Auslogics Disk Defrag? I noticed in the Version History that there are a number of significant improvements in version 2.0.

I used this product for a long time, but recently switched to IObit Smart Defrag because it is significantly faster and also offers "optimization" to rearrange files on the disk for faster access. If the new release of Auslogics is worth trying I will, so I was wondering if anyone has any input.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

I'm using it, and the updates to it are good, the GUI looks much better, and it can now defrag all attached drives by default without having to do them one at a time like the 1.x version. It's still not a full defrag though, just a files only defrag. I like it.

• Moderators
What would make Auslogics Disk Defrag better than JkDefrag, or are they about the same all around?

It's nothing like JkDefrag which I use to do a full defrag. JkDefrag is so much more configurable, but also much slower since it moves files around into logical locations like those space hogs such as AVI video files, etc., whereas Auslogics Disk Defrag just defrags them from what I've noticed hence it's so much faster.

It's nothing like JkDefrag which I use to do a full defrag. JkDefrag is so much more configurable, but also much slower since it moves files around into logical locations like those space hogs such as AVI video files, etc., whereas Auslogics Disk Defrag just defrags them from what I've noticed hence it's so much faster.

So you do use Auslogics Disk Defrag from time to time when you don't think it's necessary to do a full defrag? This brings to mind..how often do you think it's a good practice to defrag? Also, what is your opinion on Auslogics Registry Cleaner?

Use Auslogics Boostspeed which comes with Auslogics Defrag, Reg Cleaner, Disk Cleaner, and loads of other things. I've never ever had a problem with using the Reg Cleaner, but then again, I'm using the Reg Cleaner's normal mode and not the advanced mode. Never tried the advanced mode.

• Moderators
So you do use Auslogics Disk Defrag from time to time when you don't think it's necessary to do a full defrag? This brings to mind..how often do you think it's a good practice to defrag? Also, what is your opinion on Auslogics Registry Cleaner?

I started using their defrag tool everyday since it's so fast and since I really don't need a full defrag done everyday. However I'll still use JkDefrag like maybe once per month to logically place files on the hard disks.

I've never used their registry cleaner, in fact I never knew they had one so I'll have to check that out.

• Moderators
Also, what is your opinion on Auslogics Registry Cleaner?

I just tried it and to sum it up I think it's too aggressive. The greater majority of the "invalid" items it found I'd never clean because it would break applications. It does have an exclude feature, but with the amount of stuff it found it reminds me of RegSeeker with its default ignore list.

• Moderators
Really? Auslogic's cleaner has never messed up my system when I used the registry cleaner. (Not using the advanced mode though, did you use the Advanced Mode Andavari?)

I used the regular "recommended" mode shown at the very top. The only "advanced" thing I did in it was to see what it listed as invalid.

• Moderators

It really matters what you have installed on your system. I use Microsoft Office, and many registry cleaners flag many of its registry entries as invalid which would break the Office installation if they were removed.

Andavari, is this your comment:

"WinXP defrag = A bicycle going through one foot of sticky mud. Auslogics Disk Defrag = The Starship Enterprise at warp speed."

Andavari

It was on the Auslogics website for Disk Defrag as one of the comments on the side. It also said by Andavari, so just wondering lol! :lol:

• Moderators

That comment is from many years ago which I believe they pulled from these very forums and was well before there was Defraggler which I've went back to today.

Auslogics Disk Defrag v2.0 Beta does have a bug in it when using the command line version that's included, everytime I went to use it I'd see some crash log being created so I've ditched it.